British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-20, 02:09 PM

Default Unknown hat, help needed

Found this today, there is a name on the inside of the peak, can’t read it yet. Any ideas on this would help.
Old 05-07-20, 09:16 PM

I think field grade officers forage cap, the writing on the peak appears to be the makers, .....uniform.....

I think the different units used different braid, the army dress regs books has this info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13AF3079-3572-475E-BB45-76023A89FFBC crop.jpg (43.4 KB, 25 views)

Jerry
Old 06-07-20, 01:50 AM

It is a type of Victorian forage cap, worn in undress by officers of many regiments and Corps. The mohair band would usually have rose, thistle or shamrock designs woven into it, but the design appears more like oak leaves. The cord boss on the crown has been partially unwound and a tassel connected to the loose end, which of course is incorrect.

CB
Old 06-07-20, 06:20 AM

I concur, a forage cap circa late 1890s to early 1900s, embroidered peak for a field officer.

I have a pillbox cap with the same black oak-leaf lace, and if yours measures 1 3/4 inches wide, I suspect it may belong to an "Infantry of the line" officer.

The yellow tassel may not be original to the cap.
Old 06-07-20, 08:30 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Guys

Having a look at the illustrated Dress Regulations for 1900 this appears to be a Forage Cap for officers of Infantry of the Line. This has the same type of lace and the bullion to the edge of the peak and chin strap. The peak ornamented with 3/4 inch gold embroidery. Band 13/4 inches wide, of black oak leaf lace, black netted button and braided figure on the crown.

The Regs show a total of 12 Corps, some with peeks and some without, also the lace is different for each cap.The Regs at parra 565 describe the Forage Cap as Blue cloth, straight up, 31/4inches high, with black patent leather drooping peak.

Regards

Phil.
Old 06-07-20, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I think field grade officers forage cap, the writing on the peak appears to be the makers, .....uniform.....

I think the different units used different braid, the army dress regs books has this info
Hi Jerry, thank you for the reply, in the sunlight I can see the embossed words which are Beevers uniform contractors brook st. Huddersfield patent peak.
Old 06-07-20, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It is a type of Victorian forage cap, worn in undress by officers of many regiments and Corps. The mohair band would usually have rose, thistle or shamrock designs woven into it, but the design appears more like oak leaves. The cord boss on the crown has been partially unwound and a tassel connected to the loose end, which of course is incorrect.

CB
Thanks for your reply, the tassel will be the first thing on the repair list, then glue the cord back.
Old 06-07-20, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
I concur, a forage cap circa late 1890s to early 1900s, embroidered peak for a field officer.

I have a pillbox cap with the same black oak-leaf lace, and if yours measures 1 3/4 inches wide, I suspect it may belong to an "Infantry of the line" officer.

The yellow tassel may not be original to the cap.
Hi, thanks for your reply, could you post some photos of yours, I would like to see how the cord is finished on the top, and what the strap looks like that goes around the chin.
Old 06-07-20, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Guys

Having a look at the illustrated Dress Regulations for 1900 this appears to be a Forage Cap for officers of Infantry of the Line. This has the same type of lace and the bullion to the edge of the peak and chin strap. The peak ornamented with 3/4 inch gold embroidery. Band 13/4 inches wide, of black oak leaf lace, black netted button and braided figure on the crown.

The Regs show a total of 12 Corps, some with peeks and some without, also the lace is different for each cap.The Regs at parra 565 describe the Forage Cap as Blue cloth, straight up, 31/4inches high, with black patent leather drooping peak.

Regards

Phil.
Thanks Phil for your reply, I have also just looked at the regs , and yes it is that cap with that lace.