British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-16, 05:55 PM

Question Queen's Own Irish Militia?

Hello Chaps,

Here is the second of my recent Irish Militia related buttons.

Now as mentioned in an earlier thread, I do not yet have any reference to Irish Militia buttons, so any help with this one would be greatly appreciated?

The size is 25mm, so I'm thinking tunic button. The back mark reads 'Foley & Croker Dublin'.

A hansom silver plated button for sure.

Any thoughts, comments or critique greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (55.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (53.3 KB, 10 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 02-04-16, 11:01 PM

Roy

this is a button of The Dublin City Militia and I think it dates from 1855 - 1881. I believe you are correct in thinking it is a tunic button

Formed in 1793 as the 12th or Dublin City Regiment of Militia, it was renumbered/named as the 100th or Royal Dublin City Rgt of Militia following the ballot of 1833. This is the title as it appears in the April 1850 Royal Militia and Yeomanry Cavalry Army List.

In 1854/55 –the reorganization of the militia via “The Militia Act Ireland 1854” to augment the artillery occurred and I believe that the regiments title of, The Queens Own Royal Dublin City Militia dates from after that date although I am open to correction on this.

In the 1881 reforms the unit became 4th Battalion The Royal
Dublin Fusiliers.

I will see later if I can narrow down the dates later

John
Old 02-04-16, 11:08 PM

Hello John,

I had a hunch You would be able to add some flesh to the story. Such history and details really bring these buttons to life and although my knowledge of Irish Militia is almost non existent, the helpful details you are so generously providing are going a long way to my education - and for that I am eternally grateful.

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 02-04-16, 11:45 PM

It is my pleasure Roy.

I think after 1855 for this button is pretty correct date, all the lists I see prior 1833- 1844 give the title as Royal Dublin City Rgt, I only see the use of " Queens Own" after 1855 but I have not come across an AO showing the change of designation.

The closed back also indicates a later date, I shall let those more knowledgeable in button construction comment on this aspect..

Thoms Irish Almanac and Official Directory for 1862 shows the company as 24 College Green, Dublin "Button Manufacturer and Trimming Warehouse, Foley H. and Croker J.

John
Old 03-04-16, 08:41 AM

Hello Roy

This is certainly a tunic button, so your button will date from 1855 on which confirms everything John had said.

Roger