British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-10, 08:52 AM

Default A very rare ARF or first RAF 1918 wing?

ARF Wing 1.jpgARF Wing 2.jpg

A few months ago I purchased these wings.

I initially thought that it may have had an Australian connection or had been miss-spelt by the manufacturer.

In his excellent book, "Eagles Recalled: Pilot and Aircrew Wings of Canada, Great Britain and the British Commonwealth 1913-1945 "by Warren Carroll, he has a seperate chapter(11) on the first issue wings of the RAF. He has various descriptions and photographs of this very scarce item, including a printed letterhead on a writing block.

Warren Carroll refers to the wing as the "TORONTO WING"

I believe this another example of the early wing which has ARF and not RAF monograms on it.

Any comments would be welcomed.

Regards,

Will
Old 12-09-10, 09:13 AM

In the relevent chapter, Warren Carroll states that the wing would have been presented/approved by the authorities between May and August 1918.
Old 15-09-10, 06:30 AM

Hi William,
Looks like you have a real rarity there. So rare , in fact , that nobody knows anything about it.
I am fascinated as to why it was ARF and not RAF. Maybe a dyslexic embroiderer !
Regards
Mike
Old 15-09-10, 09:29 AM

Hi Mike,

It is extremely rare, I almost did not buy it because I did not know what is was myself!

The emphasis was on the "R" for the wing.

There are photographs in the quoted reference of officers wearing them.

Regards,

Will
Old 23-09-10, 11:17 AM
Banned

The original wing is rare and unusual, the origins not known.

However, I am wondering what you paid for it? The wing is available at Hand & Lock (the original makers) for £7.99 a pair. They found a load in a box in their store, but they can not confirm date of manufacture. According to them, they have the correct manufacture for being 'old' but they have no record of the date they were made, although they are thought to be 50 or 60 plus years. But they are still available, in mint unissued condition for under £8.00 from the original makers.

Theirs are Holland backed, I am dubious about those shown here as they look like the Indian repros, with the messy backs.

At best an original pair which you can still buy for under a tenner, at worst an Indian repro.
Old 24-09-10, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi SAS1, I am not familiar with the term Holland backed? Is that the same as starch back or glue back? What is the origin of the term?
Thanks.

Last edited by Bill A; 24-09-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 24-09-10, 09:51 PM
Banned

'Holland' originated in that country, hence the name. It is a plainwoven unbleached or dull-finish linen, or cotton fabric that is made more or less opaque by a glazed or unglazed finish, called the 'Holland' finish.
Old 24-09-10, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks SAS1. There is a theory that the compressed felt embroidered titles, with no backing are Dutch made. However, that is definitely not what you have described. Thank-you for the explanation.
Would you have an image of an example?
Old 25-09-10, 12:40 AM
Banned

I'll see if I can find one. If you are familiar with Air Officers cap badges, they tend to have an tan or orangy coloured backing - thats Holland.
Old 25-09-10, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Are you referring to the laurel wreath? Or, the backing on the reverse of the badge? (Sorry to be pedantic, but the use of the term is new to me, and is in an area of collecting that has a bit of controversy.)
Old 25-09-10, 02:29 AM

"Holland" was a type of hessian cloth and in military badge circles is perhaps best known as the cloth used as a backing to the South Staffordshire Regiment cap badge.
Old 25-09-10, 11:23 AM
Banned

In terms of the Air Officer badge, its the reverse of the badge.

Holland is a commonly used item for badge backings.
Old 25-09-10, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks gentlemen, clarifies my understanding. If there is a chance of an image, it would be apprciated.
Old 28-09-10, 03:55 PM

Default arf wing

pics of wing purchased this week from h/l .
'holland' must be the material and not the colour.
the top wing in this thread is one of these with backing removed.
not the backing normally found on ww1 raf badges see pic.
the threads look typical of genuine wings and are far better quality than most repros
the threads burn and don't melt so must be of some age.i have not see any repros about. (yet)
the black backing is typical of repro wings but on this wing it burns and smells of cotton the repro backing burns and smells of plastic.
rare wing if ww1, what they are worth will depend on how many they have not what they are asking.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arf 001 (550x165).jpg (42.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg arf 002 (468x550).jpg (52.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg arf 003 (550x332).jpg (78.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg b 001 (550x237).jpg (68.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 28-09-10, 05:17 PM
Banned

'Holland' is indeed the material and not the colour, the fact thats its unbleached generally means its not been treated to get it white, but is used (either natural or dyed) as is.

I am still of the opinion that the top wing is more likely a repro, or at least not a hand and Lock one. The colour of the wreath and shape of the 'F', in addition to the messy backing point to Indian manufacture for me.

A friend of mine had some insignia made by Hand and Lock and first alerted me to the ARF wings. They have no record of them being made, and in the first instance cant shed any light to the 'ARF' as opposed to the 'RAF', but more importantly dont have any idea when they were made, except that by their manufacturing techniques they are basically, a genuine period item.