British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-14, 09:49 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Kings Colonial Fakes

Someone asked me to post pics of the various fake KC badges taken from the front and rear - to include the lugs. All of these badges have already been judged to be fakes by this forum - invariably because of the lugs. They are all very hard to bend without a lot of effort (unless I use pliers...) apart from the NZ and the Ozzie Kangeroo.
I can't recall the person who asked for them so I shall post them here. He wanted then for reference purposes.
If he would send me his email address, I'll zip up the raw files (6Megs+) and send them.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yeo_SetFront.jpg (57.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_SetRear.jpg (56.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_General.jpg (44.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_FernLeaf.jpg (23.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_BritAsian.jpg (40.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_Australia.jpg (40.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_AustralasianLugs.jpg (46.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_AustralasianWMLugs.jpg (46.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_BritAmericanLugs.jpg (50.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Yeo_BritAfricaLugsV2.jpg (35.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by wright241; 03-06-14 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Comment added
Old 04-06-14, 07:49 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default KK1394 Judged as a Fake

Here are some pictures of the "Arms" badge - which I believed - but totally contradicted on this forum - was a good version of this particular badge.
The lugs on this one always looked good to me - even if one of them looked like a replacement. Yes, the replacement lug does have "tiny" feet, but not of the same size as the "classic" fake types.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK1370_Front.jpg (76.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg KK1370_Rear.jpg (82.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg KK1370_RearLugDetail02.jpg (80.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg KK1370_RearLugDetail03.jpg (79.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg KK1370_RearLugDetail.jpg (28.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-06-14, 09:16 AM
Former Member

David,
From the images I cannot see a lot wrong with yah particular example?

Andy
Old 04-06-14, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Here are some pictures of the "Arms" badge - which I believed - but totally contradicted on this forum - was a good version of this particular badge.
The lugs on this one always looked good to me - even if one of them looked like a replacement. Yes, the replacement lug does have "tiny" feet, but not of the same size as the "classic" fake types.
David
the vast majority of lugs have feet,some manufacturers bigger feet than others.
its true that some fakes have large footed lugs but not all large footed lugs are fakes.
if you show a pic of a shiny badge on here it will be classed as a fake.
a badge is a fake or not a fake how clean it is should not even be in the equation.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lugs 001 (1024x745).jpg (37.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-06-14, 08:09 AM

Default KK1394

I like this badge a lot, it is fine as far as I am concerned. The faker (if it were one) has gone to a lot of trouble to break off the tip of the lion's tail too!

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-06-14, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
David,
From the images I cannot see a lot wrong with yah particular example?

Andy
Thanks Andy (and Ashantee). This was one of those posts and moments when I seriously wondered about the expertise of the members that judged it to be a "baddy".
At the time this was judged to be a fake, it did make me wonder whether I should bother posting some badges at all.... It (and along with a few other badges that were classed as fakes - and definitely were not) was also the main reason why I don't bother any more.
I only posted this to help another forum member.
I am only too aware that (in general) re-lugged "footy" badges are not necessarily "baddies" as I used to see them regularly being returned to the stores with the odd "footy lug" by serving soldiers at Thiepval barracks stores.
I have always liked the crisp details of this one - unfortunately, the KC "set" has been copied to death and I have yet to see another one of these for a comparison check.
You have both made my Sunday, so I will now get a Blade Runner "fix".
David
Old 09-06-14, 07:57 AM

Hi David,

I haven't written anything on the forum for a long time, as I am busy writing a thesis and wanted to turn my attention away from badges. However, this post piqued my interest so I thought I would chip-in.

A lot can be learned from previous genuine items that exist in collections, but access to those are uncommon and we are most likely to encounter them when they re-enter the market. If we are lucky we get to see photos of them on auction catalogues and perhaps handle them at auction previews.

Now your badges:

The main slouch hat badge (coat of arms) is great - no problems there

Squadron badges - The best I can do here is let you look at close-ups of a genuine items sold at Bonhams in 2005. The key here is the animal heads. If you look closely at the features and stick with those you can't go far wrong.

Ostrich - head shape

K'roo - thickness of muzzle

Elephant - detail where ear joins the head

Beaver - Look at the pointedness of the leaves

Opinion:

I have only seen gilt and yellow metal badges for this unit. I'm not going to be crass and say that was all there ever was as those sorts of statements end up biting you on the bum. The loops are a contentious issue and sadly collector focus sometimes shifts towards this instead of badge detail. All I would say here is aim for consistency.

Garry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC African - Bonhams 2005.jpg (42.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg KC American - Bonhams 2005.jpg (36.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg KC Australia - Bonhams 2005.jpg (15.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (83.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg KC Slouch hat main - Bonhams 2005.jpg (64.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-06-14, 08:07 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day David

I have been collecting Kings Collonials for many years. I obtained an Australasian and British African In the early 70's from a reputable dealer in Melbourne Aust in the early 70's these have a dark patina and E-W lugs. I also have a repro Australasian that is a yellow brass colour with N-S lugs, this one cost me about $20 in the mid 70's.

As far as I am concerned Im happy with 2 and not with the third.

I have since obtained British Asian and a British American from a forum member a couple of years ago, again both have a dark patina, the Asian has E-W lugs behind the body of the elephant and the American has E-W lugs at a slight angle from bottom right to left (as you look at the front). Whilst Im happy with them I wouldnt swear on a stack of Bibles that they are OK

I also have 1 Australian K'roo collar for the right collar that came from a forum member. I am also waiting on a k'roo hat badge but havnt seen it as yet.

If you want some photos send me your email address on a PM.

By the way there was another thread on this subject on repros a couple of years back that I also contributed to.

I hope that this helps, and always happy to help.

Regards

Phil.