British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-15, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
Just to add to the feed, here is a Lambourne makers marked w/m.

Attachment 137350 Attachment 137351

Ta
Thanks Brookies.

Here is a Suttle Cambridge example. Never quite sure if this maker is Suttle [of] Cambridge, or Suttle [and] Cambridge. Heigh-ho.

Note the (dare I say it?) subtle, thin, inner border line :

image.jpg
Old 11-12-15, 12:34 AM

Thanks for that, best part about it is that I knew the trooper who wore it.

Jonathan
Old 11-12-15, 12:48 AM

Hi Chaps

Thanks again to all who have contributed, some very interesting posts.

Regardless of what the G/M versions are or are not, there are some interesting WM badges there. I have a few in my collection but didn't realise there were so many variants/makers. Will definitely pay more attention to any I notice in the future.

I don't suppose anyone has a G/M example which is maker-marked?

David
Old 11-12-15, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Never quite sure if this maker is Suttle [of] Cambridge, or Suttle [and] Cambridge.
It is F. Suttle and Co. Cambridge.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 11-12-15, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
It is F. Suttle and Co. Cambridge.

Rgds, Thomas.
Nice one. Thanks Thomas.
Old 11-12-15, 10:21 PM

Hey, interesting thread

Cooould it be that the brass ones were produced for sale as sweetheart badges ?

The main sweethearts followed regiments badges in design so could these have been sold to mother wives and partners ? Im sure there would have been some pride associated with a volunteer volunteering to serving in far and distant lands

Just a thought

T
Old 12-12-15, 06:37 AM

In Howard Williamson's book the 'Great War Medal Collector's Companion', he lists the metals used as 'Alloys, Brass, WM & Gilt'. There is no comment on who was issued or if some weren't used in the end, maybe gilt ones were for officers?
Known manufacturers of the badge were Suttle of Cambridge, Lambourne & Co & Amfields of Birmingham.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-12-15, 07:54 AM

Alex,

Thanks for that. Does Williamson cite the source/s of his information with regard to metals used?

Regards

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 18-12-15 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 12-12-15, 10:08 AM

Hi JT
No, there isn't a reference unfortunately but the research he did for the book is incredible, so I wouldn't doubt it. There are also 12 different photos of variations to the badges, so there are a lot of variations.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-12-15, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi JT
No, there isn't a reference unfortunately but the research he did for the book is incredible, so I wouldn't doubt it. There are also 12 different photos of variations to the badges, so there are a lot of variations.
Cheers,
Alex
Thanks Akex.

Sounds like an excellent publication. Don't have a copy myself - must correct that.

Cheers
Old 12-12-15, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
In Howard Williamson's book the 'Great War Medal Collector's Companion', he lists the metals used as 'Alloys, Brass, WM & Gilt'. There is no comment on who was issued or if some weren't used in the end, maybe gilt ones were for officers?
Known manufacturers of the badge were Suttle of Cambridge, Lambourne & Co & Amfields of Birmingham.
Cheers,
Alex
Many thanks for that, Alex, very interesting.

Logically, gilt would be for officers, never seen one though.

I've thought about buying the set of books but very expensive. Might think again now though (after Christmas)

David
Old 12-12-15, 02:55 PM

Gilt may have also been something that was done at the jewelers just like other capbadge were for sweethearts as they had no other badges to give.
Old 12-12-15, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Gilt may have also been something that was done at the jewelers just like other capbadge were for sweethearts as they had no other badges to give.
Thank you Magpie, it's a really good point.

In his book, is Williamson then saying that these badges were officially made alloys, brass, w/m and gilt (as Alex kindly points out), or is he simply saying that there are examples to be found in these constituent media? You see my point? I have not read the passage so am unable to tell. Perhaps someone might be able to provide a direct quote?

It's one thing for a badge to be made from a particular metal, and quite another for it necessarily to be 'genuine'. It does not automatically follow that since I have a g/m example, that g/m badges were officially sanctioned.

However, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I am open to the theory of genuine ISBs being made from g/m (or any other metal, for that matter) it's just that to date, I have not come across any official evidence to substantiate the theory.

This for me is a large part of the enjoyment in collecting: the desire to learn, improve and advance knowledge through research, through discussion, through questioning, positive scepticism, peer review, open debate, scrutiny of evidence, and testing of theories. Formulate a theory, and then attempt to disprove it.

Regards to all,

JT
Old 12-12-15, 04:10 PM

Smile Suttle of Cambridge

I'm not sure if Suttle of Cambridge actually manufactured badges, I have seen cloth and metal examples with their name showing.

As far as the research I did some years ago it appeared they had two tailors and outfitters shops in Cambridge itself, both now gone.

Rob
Old 12-12-15, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Yes, good point. Alex mentions "metals used" so I took it to mean they were manufactured as such rather than gilded privately but it might not be the case of course.

David