British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-16, 12:57 PM

Default Dating Irish Rangers Kilt Badges.

Is there a way to tell the difference between Royal Irish Regiment and Royal Irish Rangers kilt badges ? 1st two pictures show the early Irish Rangers badges, I believe made in Pakistan. Next two show an A/A set. The last two show silver coloured backed badges, the RUR and RIF badges are marked FIRMIN. The Inniskilling badge has no makers mark, never seen a Firmin marked Inniskilling kilt badge, though they might have made them. Is there a way to ID A/A kilt badges produced after the formation of the Royal Irish Regiment in 1992, and the earlier Irish Rangers badges ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3970.jpg (62.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3971.jpg (57.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3969.jpg (59.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3968.jpg (54.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3967.jpg (63.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3966.jpg (63.6 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by irishhorse; 04-06-16 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 02:24 PM

Irishhorse,

I don't think there was a difference between the Rangers and R I Regt. piper's kilt badges and I believe they were all AA.

I would not expect the first three to be issued as they do look like Indian/ Pakistan made copies and the two having sliders would, in my opinion, make them not fit for their purpose for kilt fitting, but who knows?

Eddie
Old 05-06-16, 05:54 AM

I think your correct Eddie,the ones with sliders wouldnt have been worn in the kilt.
There have been a few of the pattern cards shown on the forum. They all have lug and pin fittings.
Old 07-06-16, 09:14 AM

Default Kilt Badges

I agree the slider is an unusual fitting for a kilt badge. But I have been told by some older collectors. That these were made in Pakistan, and were indeed worn on the kilt by the Irish Rangers. Not an easy thing to prove though. The Irish Rangers and the Royal Irish Regiment wore the same pattern of kilt badges. Just wondering if there is a way of telling the more modern badges. The Irish Rangers band have not been around for quite a long time.
Old 07-06-16, 09:58 AM

Irish horse,
I believe that your older collectors are guilty of wishing it to be so rather than it actually being so, something we are all guilty of at times.
At the amalgamation in 1992 the pipers of the Rangers became pipers of the Royal Irish Regiment with no change to the kilt badges. The kilt badges in stores would have continued to be issued to the new regiment, although the cap badge would be different.
When stocks ran out new stock would be ordered but how you would date these new badges without the order details I don't know.
Eddie
Old 07-06-16, 11:55 AM

Photo of the Piper's kilt badges. The badges represent the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Ulster Rifles and the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Irish Ranger Piper - Copy.jpg (38.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-06-16, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Irish horse,
I believe that your older collectors are guilty of wishing it to be so rather than it actually being so, something we are all guilty of at times.
At the amalgamation in 1992 the pipers of the Rangers became pipers of the Royal Irish Regiment with no change to the kilt badges. The kilt badges in stores would have continued to be issued to the new regiment, although the cap badge would be different.
When stocks ran out new stock would be ordered but how you would date these new badges without the order details I don't know.
Eddie
Possibly the only way, would be if they were made by Firmins and came in the sealed plastic bag. Or if somebody had retained the bag with or without the badge in it. I think that even they have now changed their packaging but again that would be helpful.
If they were made by another company, then I'm not sure youd be able to ascertain a date of production.
Are they still anodised or are they of the newer type metal ?
Old 08-06-16, 12:49 PM

Ive had a further thought on this,it is possible that although the R.Irish Rangers ceased to exist the kilt badges were still in the catalogue as to the Rangers rather than the Regt. Maybe they are still listed as such. Hopefully somebody will dig that one up.
Old 08-06-16, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Just to add complication the Royal Irish Rangers TA were still in existence as late as 2003 (they provided a defence platoon to HQ 16 Bde in Iraq) and wearing the Royal Irish Rangers badges. As such the badges would still be current and in stock much later than 1992.
Old 08-06-16, 02:48 PM

Default Kilt Badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Just to add complication the Royal Irish Rangers TA were still in existence as late as 2003 (they provided a defence platoon to HQ 16 Bde in Iraq) and wearing the Royal Irish Rangers badges. As such the badges would still be current and in stock much later than 1992.
The TA battalions continued after 1992, but think the band became Royal Irish Regiment. The kilt badge are the same design, but is it possible to tell a later manufactured badge ?
The Royal Inniskilling Fusilier badge with the silver backing came in a plastic badge, if that's any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4020.jpg (30.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by irishhorse; 10-06-16 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:47 PM

The silver backed R Innis Fus badge is currently for sale on ebay, bagged, with "NSN 845599739442" "DofQ EA" on its printed label.
Old 08-02-19, 03:37 PM

More information here from a previous thread.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...6&postcount=70

Tim
Old 08-02-19, 03:47 PM

The button of the thanks be with you.