British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-16, 01:50 PM

Default Royal Wessex Yeomanry, badges and insignia question

Does anyone please have an example of the new metal Royal Wessex Yeomanry cap badge, that they wouldn't mind sending a photo of please. Is the badge black anodised or metal? Also, was there a cloth badge before it? And are the Squadrons retaining their original collar badges or are there new ones? Thank you for your time
Old 20-09-16, 02:50 PM

I can tell you that the original batch of badges were all scrapped off. Theres an image on the net of a guy wearing a beret with a black/grey badge. Apparently ,this was a knock up made from plastic and glued together then sprayed up.
I did have a convo with a guy at the GH squadron in Cirencester and im sure he said they were still in Sqn badges until the new one was sorted. This was a while ago. So this may have now changed.
Old 20-09-16, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.wessex-rfca.org.uk/royal-...e-bigger-role/

Here you go.

The officers wore a cloth badge on the parade.
Old 20-09-16, 03:14 PM

Default RWxY Badges & Insignia

The RWxY was issued with new cap/beret badges to replace the old squadron badges on 5 July 2014. The other ranks version is in a black and bright metal finish, officers is embroidered. Not sure if the OR's version is painted staybrite or metal - looks like metal to me. Interestingly, in March 2014, the Army Dress Committee approved the new badge for all ranks, but in red, yellow and blue - no mention of black/metal!
The squadron collar dogs have been retained - Dorset, Wiltshire & Royal Devon Yeo, Royal Glos Hussars.
New Dress Regs for the RWxY were approved in Sept/Oct 2015; the version submitted for approval further changed these badges but the approval was subject to some 'minor amendments', but I don't know what these were - see https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...1-Redacted.pdf.
In the draft submitted, the officers'/WO1 badge was to be a silver wire embroidered Wessex dragon and the ORs' version the fully coloured metal and enamel version of the previous officers' embroidered version.
In the draft Dress Regs, the collar dogs were to be silver (officers & WO1 silver aa for all squadrons except C (RGH) which were to be gold aa. RHQ to wear inward facing Wessex dragons in silver (officers/WO1s) and silver aa (ORs).
As an aside - new regimental stable belts (Badminton blue/buff/Badminton blue, with tanned buckles) were issued in August 2016. The TRF is also being changed from the broken spur on red and buff diamond to a full spur on Badminton blue and buff diamond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWxY ORs beret badge - metal 2014.jpg (82.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg RWxY Officers embroidered beret badge 2014.jpg (91.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 20-09-16, 03:43 PM

I understand the original badges were purchased by the commanding officer and the official issue ones were to arrive at a later date. Quite if these are now on line I do not know but I know that all of Wiltshire's Cadets badged to RWY are receiving RAC badges due to problems with the supply of the official Ordnance version.

Just a pity that the Commanding Officer ignored the Wyvern to represent Wessex and chose a Dragon or Griffin whatever it is meant to be instead.

At least the Wyvern is now back in use again for personal attached to South West region.
Old 20-09-16, 08:34 PM

Thanks for all responses, so its a wait out to see what the OR's is like. Very odd I thought to have a black badge on a black backing, very dull, a lot nicer if it was the enameled red blue etc, simaler to how the Dorset Yeo have them. Also, as mentioned, no wyvern? Its the Somerset dragon on the new badge isn't it?

Last edited by 3dg; 20-09-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 21-09-16, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Yes that is the Somerset Dragon. Why they went for that and not the Wessex Bde 2 legged Wyvern is a mystery. The Yeomanry has Sqns based in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset and Tps in Devon but not in Somerset!
Old 21-09-16, 03:33 PM

I think it was basically the Commanding Officers preference but ignored a lot of tradition and history.
Old 21-09-16, 07:15 PM

All those badges they've been wearing for years, all that tradition gone!! Like the Royal Yeomanry, horrid badge( my opinion), not much of a cost cutting exercise, a few badges!!
Old 21-09-16, 07:59 PM

TRF.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 21-09-16, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
All those badges they've been wearing for years, all that tradition gone!! Like the Royal Yeomanry, horrid badge( my opinion), not much of a cost cutting exercise, a few badges!!
Unfortunately the Army tell them if they want a Regimental Guidon you must all wear the same cap badge.
Old 05-11-16, 01:12 AM

Minutes of the 353rd meeting of the ADC are on line with details of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry's Dress Regulations

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...1-Redacted.pdf
Old 05-11-16, 07:31 AM

Had I been CO of the RWxY I would have insisted on the original 43 Wessex Inf Div formation sign - historically "sound" and worn in battle from Jun 44 - May 45 - as a beret badge. All I introduced as a TA CO was the Painter Stainers' Company badge of the "chicken in the basket" - worn only by the unit's guard of honour. Mike
Old 03-03-17, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME245 View Post
Unfortunately the Army tell them if they want a Regimental Guidon you must all wear the same cap badge.
They made an exception when they presented Colours to the London Regiment so there is a precedence here.
Old 15-07-17, 09:05 PM

Back again with this one.
I've seen the officers bullion badge on black square being worn, but still no sign of the OR's badge, has it been introduced yet?
Thanks again