British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-14, 09:45 AM

Hi Frank, I have found with badges that nothing is impossible, just something's are damned difficult. I have heard some old time collectors turning up an item after searching for 50 years. You just have to keep digging, and know a rare item when you see it, because that may be your only chance ever to get it. Have fun. Andrew
Old 16-06-14, 05:24 PM

Default Baileys South African Sharp Shooters

Hi Mel, I have picked on the conversation about your grandfather, George William Hunt, and I am riveted by this story. I live in Australia but my roots are in Rhodesia. I am currently in Johannesburg at the bedside of my 82 year father who is failing rapidly. I have just been given an old leather photo album which belonged to Neville Methven, who was married to my great Aunt, Kate Patricia Halsted. Unfortunately, the album has seen better days but there are various photos of Baileys Sharp Shooters, which clearly include Neville Methven. (I remember him well, as I knew him as a little boy.) The interesting part for you is that these photos could well include your grandfather. I would love to make contact with you and share what you know about the Sharp Shooters. Regards, Craig (Incidentally, we still have Neville's colt .45 automatic pistol, which by a quirk of fate, I also carried as my side arm during the Rhodesian Bush War.)
Old 25-06-14, 12:59 PM

Hello Andrew,
Yes, if you know where to go, there is really nothing that you can't get, I would think that they were made by G&S on Regent St, they certainly made and retailed almost all the SAI Brigade badges during the Great War.
Regards Frank

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 28-06-14 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-11-16, 07:26 AM

Default Baileys Sharpshooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by melcross View Post
Hi,
I am the granddaughter of a Bailey Sharpshooter, William George Hunt who was KIA in the Battle of the Somme on 16 July 1916. It was a South African unit raised by Sir Abe Bailey who funded the unit himself. It was initially agreed that he would send 100 men but selection was slow as each man was thoroughly tested so initially only 17 went and 6 of them were killed. They were lead by Lt. Neville Methven.
I can give you a bit more info about them if you want it. Do you still have the shell and would you consider selling it? I would love to have it - I live in Cape Town.
Kind Regards
Mel
Mel Hi. My father knew one of them who was decorated. You are nearly correct. Many went for selection few passed. They got paid extra and were issued special Purdey .303 rifles with scopes. From my research there were 24 members selected - was supposed to be 100. Of these a number died on the Somme soon after arrival.4 died of wounds or KIA. One was POW, two were transferred and 1 missing in action. At end of war a number were found to be medically unfit - probably pleurisy. They were attributed with more than 3000 kills. For such a small unit the decoration count was exceptional. Private Hunt date of death around22 August 1916. The record states his death was accepted. Probably missing in action after much shelling, mud and rain. If anyone has the book - Baileys South African Sharpshooters by G.D.Trotter I would be interested.
Old 09-11-16, 09:34 PM

Default BA LOWINGS

Hi all,
I am also a grand-daughter to a Bailey's sharpshooter. He was Bertie Arthur Lowings. I do believe the gentleman in South Sudan has his medals. I would really like to contact him - any suggestions? Cherryl Sachs
Old 14-11-16, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Mel,
I think it is very important to remember these are actually shoulder titles, the example here, worn by a member from Durban and shown along side a SAI Brigade title to illustrate that point, whilst they are not common, you would certainly expect around one hundred pieces actually being made at that point in time all those years ago, they would have all had a couple of pairs each.
Kind regards Frank
While 100 may have been made the total unit strength was 24 and 5 arrived back in Cape Town in 1919 in their uniforms at the same time. Many had picked up pleurisy due to very unhealthy conditions. 6 died 1 was POW and 2 transferred. They had accounted for over 3000 Germans between them.
Old 14-11-16, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
Hi,

I wondered if any of the SA enthusiasts might be able to throw some light on the occasion this may have been made for.

The engraving reads
Auld
Lang syne
From
Baileys
Sharpshooters

followed by an elaborate cypher.

They were something of a small elite squad attached to one of the Northants btns but not much has been written about them.

Grateful for any info.
Correct There is a rare book written by G.D.Trotter and published by him in South Africa and written many years ago titled Baileys South African Sharpshooters. Possibly the Imperial War Museum have a copy in their archives. I have info on the Roll of the unit who received medals and dates of decease capture and transfer. etc.
Old 16-11-16, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryl View Post
Hi all,
I am also a grand-daughter to a Bailey's sharpshooter. He was Bertie Arthur Lowings. I do believe the gentleman in South Sudan has his medals. I would really like to contact him - any suggestions? Cherryl Sachs
Hi Cherryl, If the gentleman you are talking about is William, he was captured in South Sudan in August. His family are fighting for his release. I know that they have sold much of his collection. I don't know if the medals were also sold. Regards Andrew
Old 20-12-18, 09:51 PM

Hello Mel
Have just come across your piece re Bailey's Sharpshooters. My wife's great uncle was with Methven in France and was killed on the Somme in Aug 1916. He was Cpl Alexander Laing (S6) and came from Morayshire, Scotland. Originally a bank clerk, for some unknown reason he left for Africa but we know nothing about him until the Somme! His name, that of WG Hunt and a H Potterill are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial on the Somme. Any further info/links would be much appreciated. Paul H
Old 21-12-18, 05:19 PM
MarkGD

Can i thank one and all for their contributions, found it thoroughly interesting, appreciate you sharing both personal and recorded info. Never heard of them before this. Regards Mark