British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-19, 06:54 PM

Do you think it could be a plastic coated finish rather than blackened anodised.
The heat used to cure the plastic coating could explain the changes in colour of base badge.
Old 07-01-19, 06:57 PM

Unless 1 Kings felt it unwise to paint 1000 (?) or so A/A collar badges black for wear in NI I wonder why they bothered to commission these in effect, blackened collar badges?
Other than the finish if it began to change colour early in the life of the badge I wonder what it was about the badge that made it unpopular with the Battalion when compared to the normal cap badge?
It seems a better made badge and with a more reliable fitting than, say, the RRF pock marked and the LI flimsy and brittle black plastic equivalents.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-01-19 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Auto correct prefers pick to pock.
Old 07-01-19, 07:19 PM

In the letter that Peter sent me a copy of (mentioned in earlier posts above) it is stated that the badges were 'struck' in HK. However they were withdrawn fairly quickly as they broke too easily and the Bn reverted to wearing the usual anodised cab badge UNPAINTED on the red square backing. The remaining badges were recalled and destroyed. Clearly some fell through the 'destruct' order - if in fact they ever were got rid of.

It would make sense that they may have some sort of shrink wrap but in all honesty, they do have the appearance of being made black anodised, but over time they have began to colour fade, something we don't usually see in UK made black badges, its true. But of course these are now 50 odd years old and never intended to last that long I'm sure!

All in all quite a unusual badge which does not surface too often.
Old 07-01-19, 07:42 PM

Interesting that the battalion chose to wear unblackened badges, even though the red backing could be noticeable enough with a black badge (although torn up army red PT vests and blue PT shorts helped to make an effective scrim for camouflaging helmets, as I recall).
Old 07-01-19, 07:52 PM

Default Kings Regt Northern Ireland Black Badge

Hello Peter, I am still around but not kicking too much these days. My view is that the badges could well be collars which were professionally blackened. I have one in my collection. The QM, a charming and happy man, Nigel ?, gave me the 12 badges and told me their origin. I remember sending one to you and thought the rest had long gone. But in rummaging through the detritus in my garage attic just a couple of weeks ago I found 3 !!!! One has gone to Paul Spellman, a very helpful young man, another to a collector and one remains. I will post a photo tomorrow. It looks fine - but I am certainly not going to scratch either the front or the back. I met up with 1 Kings again in Osnanbruck in 1980-83. A very friendly and helpful battalion. I was a great fan.
Old 07-01-19, 08:03 PM

That's the whereabouts of 8 badges accounted for in this thread? (Not that survivors of the QM's boot may necessarily have been limited to the 12).
Old 07-01-19, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Do you think it could be a plastic coated finish rather than blackened anodised.
The heat used to cure the plastic coating could explain the changes in colour of base badge.
There was a recent post on the forum relating to WWII economy plastics indicating that it's "bad for them" to be kept in sealed containers such as glazed frames.
I wonder whether that could apply to these King's badges, possibly causing or speeding the discolouration?
Old 07-01-19, 09:31 PM

This is one I have had for 40+ years. To me it appears to be aluminium not plastic but the black finish on the front has faded and faintly shows a metallic almost bronze sheen (see photo one). It has been on an unglazed display board out of direct light.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KING'S blk (1).jpg (75.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg KING'S blk (2).jpg (41.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg KING'S blk (3).jpg (34.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg KING'S blk (4).jpg (35.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 09-01-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 02:39 PM

Default kKings Regiment Northern Ireland Black Badge

Hello Peter,
I am still alive but not kicking much these days. After 34 years service and a further 26 years in retirement I began, 3 weeks ago, to clear the detritus from the garage attic. I found a number of items of interest including 4 of the original Kings badges from the Ebrington Barracks days. The QM, Nigel ?, originally gave them to me. Of these 4 one is now in my collection, one went to a collector and the third went to Paul Spellman (a charming man who has helped me much over the past couple of years). I met with 1 Kings again in Osnabruck in the early 80s. A fine battalion and exactly the sort of soldiers one would wish for when the chips were down.
The 4 badges were in pristine condition with absolutely no fading. I have always wondered if the badges were collar badges with a plastic type enamel finish. Thank you too for a copy of your work on the Regiment's insignia. Clearly a labour of love and a superb reference booklet. Photos attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_962.jpg (35.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-01-19, 07:42 AM

Hello Volunteer Soldier,

Very good to hear from you again.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-01-19, 09:40 AM

Ah, Peter, a man we're waiting to hear from.
These badges had their own type of cotter pin of grey metal didn't they?
Old 09-01-19, 10:29 AM

Default Kings Regiment Northern Ireland Black Badge

I doubt it. The cotter pin was picked at random from my spares box simply to keep the badge on the mounting board.
Old 09-01-19, 11:02 AM

Interesting somewhere on the forum I believe someone has posted an image of the badge with what they said was "it's cotter pin". But then cotter pins can come and go.
Old 05-08-21, 04:19 PM

A reference in post no. 18 to the King's Regiment black plastic badge's "skinny cotter pin".
Which doesn't mean that they were all fitted (with such pins):

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...plastic&page=2