British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-18, 03:05 PM

Default Walter Lambert

Hello all

Firstly let me say I know nothing about Military Badges. However I am related to someone who knew an awful lot about them. My grandad Walter Lambert had a very large collection of badges which were sadly all sold by auction around the time that he died (some before, most after). This was all around 9 years ago now.

Searching his name on this forum I know the sale of his collection has been mentioned a few times. I interested to know just how well known he was within this collecting world and whether anyone here purchased any of the collection.

I understand from my dad who helped to sort a large amount of the badges out ready for auction this collection was very large, however I had no appreciation of the scale of his collection.

Be nice to hear any stories you have of corresponding with him, learning from him or buying some of his collection.
Old 27-10-18, 12:25 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hello Proud Grand daughter.

I had a friend here in Melbourne Australia who was a friend of Walter, probably from the 60's or 70's. he talked of him often however he's no longer with us to be able to ask questions of. However I can say that he was held in very high regard by my friend. I might say that my friend was also English.

I hope that this helps.

regards

Phil.
Old 27-10-18, 02:42 PM

Default Walter

I only knew Walter as a pen pal, his knowledge of militaria was phenomenal. I know there are members on this forum who knew him personally. One from Germany used to stay with him when he was over.
Regards
Anodisedbob
Old 27-10-18, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud-Grandaughter View Post
Hello all

Firstly let me say I know nothing about Military Badges. However I am related to someone who knew an awful lot about them. My grandad Walter Lambert had a very large collection of badges which were sadly all sold by auction around the time that he died (some before, most after). This was all around 9 years ago now.

Searching his name on this forum I know the sale of his collection has been mentioned a few times. I interested to know just how well known he was within this collecting world and whether anyone here purchased any of the collection.

I understand from my dad who helped to sort a large amount of the badges out ready for auction this collection was very large, however I had no appreciation of the scale of his collection.

Be nice to hear any stories you have of corresponding with him, learning from him or buying some of his collection.

Hello Proud Grandaughter,

My father Ian Johnston of Gisborne, New Zealand, corresponded and exchanged badges (including rubbings of unidentified ones) with your grandfather Walter Lambert of Peterborough. As you say, he was very knowledgeable and had a marvellous collection. He would have been a great asset to the Forum today.

All the Best,
Tinto
Old 27-10-18, 07:24 PM

Oddly I've just been reading an article in an old Crown Imperial magazine on cavalry cloth shoulder titles and noticed it was written by Walter Lambert.
No doubt one of many contributions he made to this publication
Cheers
Sean
Old 28-10-18, 07:32 AM

Hello PGD,

I corresponded with Walter over a fairly long period many years ago, he was very knowledgeable and was always happy to share his knowledge.
He was highly regarded in the military history field and his name appears in the acknowledgments in a number of books.

You should be very proud of him.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-10-18, 03:25 PM

Default Walter Lambert

I have recently received an article that he wrote on anodised badges and buttons.
Old 29-10-18, 11:09 AM

A proud heritage Cam. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Walter I have a number of his badges in my collection bought at auction and from a number of dealers that picked up large numbers of them. He had a discerning eye for a quality badge and some of the best in my collection came from his original collection.

Best regards Dean