British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-19, 09:27 AM

Default PayPal friends and family beware

Hi all, small story, and I will try and stick to the facts.

I found on eBay a nice badge, and messaged the seller if he had any other bits from that regiment. He said yes, and would send photos and included a photo of his contact details. I sent a payment via PayPal for the extra items, but not the badge on eBay, useing friend and family, as he was now saved on my contacts list
A day later I get a email from eBay, saying that I should have not used friends and family to pay for goods, and I should have not done a deal outside the listing, as well as a copy of all the messages that had taken place between us.

For being naughty, I Can not access eBay and PayPal for three days.
So be careful when using friends and family.
Old 17-06-19, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
A day later I get a email from eBay, saying that I should have not used friends and family to pay for goods
There was a thread last month about a seller refusing to send/sell an item because the buyer did not send payment by "friends and family".

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=73959

Perhaps the seller in your case had already been "flagged up" for this practice , a quick check by eBay of their messages would show that they were also breaking the rules by sending e-mail address (have had photo of contact details sent to me before ).

A couple of times I have had a seller include their contact details with items I have bought on eBay and indicated that they had other items available that they would sell outside eBay and wanted payment by "friends and family".
Old 17-06-19, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Hi all, small story, and I will try and stick to the facts.

I found on eBay a nice badge, and messaged the seller if he had any other bits from that regiment. He said yes, and would send photos and included a photo of his contact details. I sent a payment via PayPal for the extra items, but not the badge on eBay, useing friend and family, as he was now saved on my contacts list
A day later I get a email from eBay, saying that I should have not used friends and family to pay for goods, and I should have not done a deal outside the listing, as well as a copy of all the messages that had taken place between us.

For being naughty, I Can not access eBay and PayPal for three days.
So be careful when using friends and family.

I don't think they can stop you using PAYPAL. PAYPAL and eBay are now two separate entities so I'm not sure their control extends that far any longer. I've known for some time that eBay monitor messages which pass between members on their own system, so it is fraught with danger to discuss private sales outwith the eBay system.

Dave.