British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-19, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Most of my collecting interests are at the lower end financially, with items worth only a few pounds, so having them sent by an expensive tracked service is not really an option. For me its probably cheaper in the long run to accept a few losses than continually pay for insurance you don't use.

But no one else seems to have noticed the post office getting worse, maybe its just chance that of late I have had a few issues all at once?

Rob
Not wanting to split hairs, but the Post Office does not deliver mail, Royal Mail does. They are two separate entities and have been so for many years.

To be fair, I think the quality of service you receive, depends, to a great extent on where you live. This coupled with other factors impacts upon the quality of service you get.

From a personal point of view, my experience of sending and receiving mail has, in recent years seen an improvement in the service Royal Mail provide. When I say "improvement", I'm talking about the number of items they "loose". Three or four years ago, I was having to make four or so claims a year in respect of items that did not reach their destination. For the last couple of years I've not needed to make any. To my mind that's an improvement. So, if you have a problem then its clearly not a country wide one.

An interesting side issue which I should mention. How many of you mark packages "Fragile"? I was once told by a postman that this is one of the worst things you can do. On seeing this some of their staff will throw it, drop it on the floor, or "accidentally" tread on it. Similarly with envelopes marked "Do not bend". I've followed his advice ever since!

Dave.
Old 17-04-19, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post

An interesting side issue which I should mention. How many of you mark packages "Fragile"? I was once told by a postman that this is one of the worst things you can do. On seeing this some of their staff will throw it, drop it on the floor, or "accidentally" tread on it. Similarly with envelopes marked "Do not bend". I've followed his advice ever since!

Dave.
My mum worked in a sorting office several years ago, she said the same thing to me. If its marked fragile it will most likely get kicked about or used as a catch ball.