British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-12, 09:58 PM

Default Fort Garry Horse

I recently picked up two very scarce FGH shoulder titles. Has anyone seen this embroidered variation before? Its construction appears to be very similar to other WWII era British shoulder titles.

Cheers,
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FGH.jpg (40.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 13-02-12, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice catch James. The 10 CTR are very difficult, and the title is the first example I have seen of that pattern. Can you post an image of the reverse?
Old 14-02-12, 12:14 AM

I was very happy to find the 10 CTR. Now I just need to find a 6 CTR

Here is a picture of the reverse as well as another variation I have in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R_FGH.jpg (25.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg fgh02.jpg (21.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg fgh_01.jpg (31.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 14-02-12, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hi James, I have the second one in my accumulation, and I think it is CEF period. Your new one is very interesting.
Old 14-02-12, 04:37 PM

Gentlemen,

The first one pictured (khaki) is CEF period and a rare title to boot. The second one (black/navy blue) is actually just post WWI.

I volunteer at the FGH museum (as time permits) and am currently working on a project to photograph and document all variants of the FGH (and related) cap, collar, and cloth insignia. Makers marks, variants, etc.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 14-02-12, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, Welcome to the Forum.
I am currently working on research on the cloth shoulder title in the Canadian army. Your identification of the time periods for wear is of interest to me. How did you establish the particular era?
Unfortunately early cloth was seldom officially authorized, and there are few records to establish the time periods.
Old 14-02-12, 05:24 PM

Correct that neither of these were officially authorized. As for dating these particular examples I have used dated and documented photographic evidence from our archives.

The project I am currently assembling will try to document all variants and show period photographic examples when available. It is still in the very early stages and I am currently photographing the caps/collars/cloth to ID maker (especially when unmarked with respect to the caps/collar) and variants in construction and finish.
Old 14-02-12, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, The CEF only had two authorized titles, the PPCLI, and CE.
For the Fort Garry's there was the early war issue, the pattern with the battalion number on the bottom, that was acquired in late 1914. When the Garry's moved to the Cavalry Depot, they did not wear the "6" pattern.
There is another pattern attributed to the CEF era, see the attached image. From the shape it appears to be intended on a shoulder strap.
Research indicates that the militia were to wear metal shoulder titles, this order being put in place very shortly after the end of the war. It would be interesting to see cloth titles in wear during that period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f g h canada cef title.jpg (64.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-02-12, 06:34 PM

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the info on the khaki FGH shoulder title. How often do find surviving CEF period cloth…

Feel free to use any images I've posted if they’re of any interest to you.

Cheers,
James
Old 20-03-12, 04:13 PM

Gentlemen,

Didn't mean to "flake out" and abandon this thread but sick kids and work got the better of me.

I will be heading into the archives tonight (if all goes as planned) and will try to dig up the photos of the title in wear. I will also scare up whatever other info I can re: these cloth titles and scan and post as time permits.

James,

many thanks for your offer. I will likely take you up on it when the time comes.

Cheers,
Greg