British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-20, 09:52 PM

There were the 1/6th and 2/6th in India. Probably not surprising that a regular ST is being worn due to supply issues at the time for both battalions far from home and sending drafts and training for other battalions in the Mid East.

CB
Old 11-06-20, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
There were the 1/6th and 2/6th in India. Probably not surprising that a regular ST is being worn due to supply issues at the time for both battalions far from home and sending drafts and training for other battalions in the Mid East.

CB
But with at least 12 years service I would expect him to have his insignia already, he’s an old sweat.
Old 11-06-20, 10:41 PM

For me, the major problem is that he could not be a Devon unless he was with the 2nd Bn. in Malta or Cairo from 1910 to 14, for this photo to be a pre war. The ribbon bar is then a problem as it could not be an Indian GSM. What could it be when taking into account those GC stripes? There should be QSA or KSA ribbons at least.
Again,the tunic style, which with those pockets, was only available in India at that time to the best of my knowledge.
Those hose tops with the puttees seem not to have been typically worn prior to the war in my research either. It is usually puttees only.
Of course, I could be off in left field about all of this, but....what one might expect as a collector to have been worn often differs with that what actually was worn.

CB

PS, to the original poster, are there any markings at all on the photo, either obverse or reverse, that might give us clue?

Last edited by cbuehler; 11-06-20 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 06:13 AM

If the photo was post-war, it would be almost impossible for a long serving soldier to not at least have a 1914-18 war medal and I don't think the ribbon is right for that, which in my mind, would place it as pre-war. If it was 1914, it could explain the absence of QSA/KSA. Delhi Durbar?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-06-20, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Everything about the hat, stripes, medal ribbon, title, turnout and moustache say pre-war Regular to me.
Old 12-06-20, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie View Post
Can anyone identify the cap badge on the attached photograph? I believe the uniform is Boer War but I am very new to this! Trying to work out an ancestors history. Hope you can helpAttachment 225308
Is the man in the photo your ancestor?
Do you have a name for him?
If so it may be very helpful if you tell us it.