British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 26-05-20, 08:23 PM

Default Dunkirk

Where can I find a list of all BEF units at Dunkirk?

What badges would have been these Indian troops?

https://www-pri-org.cdn.ampproject.o...ps-dunkirk-too

Top Dollar paid for original 1st, 2nd and 3rd (NZ/3/MGC) New Zealand Machine Gun Company badges.
Old 27-05-20, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Where can I find a list of all BEF units at Dunkirk?

What badges would have been these Indian troops?

https://www-pri-org.cdn.ampproject.o...ps-dunkirk-too
They would have worn the badges of the RIASC. However, I don't see the point of the question unless it involves the playing of the race card which it clearly does appear to. I prefer to see Dunkirk as the miracle it was rather than as an excuse for anything else.
Old 27-05-20, 02:43 AM

Nothing wrong with the question or the article. Research is trying to find the facts not covering some of them up.
Old 27-05-20, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
Nothing wrong with the question or the article. Research is trying to find the facts not covering some of them up.
There is nothing wrong with the question at all, it is the article that is referred to in the opening post that I find out of order. This is a badge forum after all, not a general "Soap Box".
Old 27-05-20, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
There is nothing wrong with the question at all, it is the article that is referred to in the opening post that I find out of order. This is a badge forum after all, not a general "Soap Box".
Well said Hoot!

Simon
Old 27-05-20, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
They would have worn the badges of the RIASC. However, I don't see the point of the question unless it involves the playing of the race card which it clearly does appear to. I prefer to see Dunkirk as the miracle it was rather than as an excuse for anything else.
***Attention Moderators: I apologize for the direction this thread has taken. This wasn't my intent and please feel free to delete it. I will find the answer to my question elsewhere.

Respectfully Hoot, it was a simple question. The posting of the article was to inform others who might not have known Indian soldiers were also at Dunkirk. I didn't write the article and there are other references to the Indian soldiers at Dunkirk on the Internet. I think you owe an apology to the forum for your out of line and inappropriate statement.

My question still stands, where can I find a comprehensive list of all BEF units at Dunkirk?

Top Dollar paid for original 1st, 2nd and 3rd (NZ/3/MGC) New Zealand Machine Gun Company badges.
Old 27-05-20, 03:30 PM

Quote:
***Attention Moderators: I apologize for the direction this thread has taken. This wasn't my intent and please feel free to delete it. I will find the answer to my question elsewhere.

Respectfully Hoot, it was a simple question. The posting of the article was to inform others who might not have known Indian soldiers were also at Dunkirk. I didn't write the article and there are other references to the Indian soldiers at Dunkirk on the Internet. I think you owe an apology to the forum for your out of line and inappropriate statement.

My question still stands, where can I find a comprehensive list of all BEF units at Dunkirk?
Perhaps you should have chosen a different article as a reference. I won't be making any apologies to anyone.
Old 27-05-20, 05:02 PM

Thumbs up

"We Will Remember Them.......ALL !"

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 27-05-20, 07:34 PM

I think anyone with a particular interest in the Battle of France would know there were colonial soldiers, the majority from the French army, involved.
Clearly the authors of the article have written it from their own point of view and that's fine, I have no issue with it, although, some people, understandably, may well have.
To answer the second question, the BEF and it's order of battle, particularly, Fortune's lads, has been well covered in a number of books since Dunkirk began to be remembered in popular culture, certainly for the last forty years and these days is really just a few clicks away.

If RIASC badges start to disappear, I'll know who to blame!

Quote:

Closed Thread