British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-09, 12:03 PM

Default Ludski/Ludlow Company History

The other week it was mentioned to me about Ludski and Ludlow being one and the same company, which, as a new collector, was something I hadn’t previously been aware of. By the same token, I was also told that the Firm’s change of name took place sometime at the beginning of the First World War. I do know that some families of German descent did change their names at this time due to anti-German feelings, Schmit to Smith that kind of thing (even the Royal Family went from being Wettin to Windsor), but as Ludski sounded more like a Polish name to me I did wonder if this was right or not. So, at the suggestion of Stephen (badjez), I’ve been going through some London Trade Directories and Telephone Directories to see if I could confirm any of this.

Anyway, this is what I have found out so far specifically relating to the change of name which I thought might be of interest to Forum members – in the ‘Professional and Commercial’ section of The Post Office London Directory of 1933 the Firm is recorded as “Ludski B. & Son, military accoutrement mkrs” of 1 & 3 Smith’s Court, Great Windmill Street, but in the Directory for the following year we find “Ludlow & Co”, also “military accoutrement mkrs” at the very same address, thus indicating that the change of name actually took place around this date and not during the Great War as I had been led to believe. Things look to be further confirmed by the London Telephone Directories of the time, wherein that for November 1932 has “Ludski B, & Son” of 1 Smith’s Court with the ’phone number “GERrard 6718”, whilst in the Directory for May 1933 we find “Ludlow & Co, Badge Makers” at the same address and with the same ’phone number. Based on this then, it would seem that any badges marked with “Ludski & Son London” would date from before 1933, whilst those bearing the mark “Ludlow London” would be after that date.

I have also managed to find out some more about the origins of the Firm, which I will post up here later, and am now in touch with the gentleman who currently runs the Company; who are still going but who now only seem to make buttons and fasteners. Unfortunately little in the way of records appears to have survived from the time when the Firm did make military badges, but anything I do find out I will happily share with the Forum.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 16-05-09, 12:55 PM

Martin,
That bit of information is extremely helpful. Many thanks for posting.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 16-05-09, 03:11 PM

Default Ludlow’s Incorporation

Hello Kevin

Glad to hear the information on this is of some help to you in particular, and I hope other members will also find things of interest too. Mind I see that although the Trade and Telephone Directories clearly suggest the Company changed its name around 1933 (possibly due to rise of anti-Semitism on the Continent at this time, what with Hitler coming to power in Germany that year), I see that Companies House’s WebCHeck doesn’t actually record Ludlow & Co.’s incorporation until 1941. Anyway, will post up more on the Firm’s history soon.

Regards

Martin

P.S. it would be really good to know what evidence can be deduced from the badges themselves of course, in the way of dateable marks that is, i.e. hallmarks - if anyone has any such items by Ludski or Ludlow they could post up?

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-05-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 16-05-09, 06:29 PM

Default Barnet Ludski & Son

Following on from my previous post about Ludski/Ludlow it would seem that the Company’s name was originally Barnet Ludski & Son, and that they in fact started out as surgical instrument manufacturers. The earliest Trade Directory reference I have found up until now is from J. S. C. Morris’ Business Directory of London and Provincial Foreign Trade Guide (l’Annuaire du Commerce de Londres) 1884, where the entry in the alphabetical section on p. 411 says “Ludski B & Son surgical instrument mkrs 63 Commercial st E”. If anyone is interested an online version of this particular directory may be accessed via the Historical Directories website. The Firm also makes an appearance in G. Eugene Harfield’s A Commercial Directory of the Jews of the United Kingdom, published in 1894 which actually gives the date for the Company’s establishment as 1873. Again if anybody would like to see this, it is also available online through the Internet Archive.

Barnet Ludski himself seems to have been a Polish Jew who had been born in Warsaw around 1830, and who may possibly have left his homeland during the late 1860s or early 1870s because of the anti-Semitism that I understand was prevalent in the Russian Empire during the mid-nineteenth century (and of which Poland would have been a part at this time). The 1881 census returns for Spitalfields clearly show Barnet and his family living at 63 Commercial Street, with his occupation listed as a “Surgical Instrument Maker”:

Ref. RG11/436, f. 4, p. 2

I have not yet been able to establish exactly when the Firm changed from making surgical instruments to making badges and other military ornaments, but in the 1891 census Barnet is down as what looks to be a “Millitary ornament Maker” (incidentally this was also the trade given as that of his son Walter, who was living elsewhere at this time), and was still living at the Commercial Street address:

Ref. RG12/274, f. 56, p. 24

Having said that for some reason The Post Office London Directory for 1899 still has the Firm listed as “Ludski Barnet & Son, surgical instrument mas.”, so maybe whilst they were beginning to move more and more into military badges and regalia perhaps they were still concentrating on the surgical instruments side of the business at this time? Anyway it seems that Barnet died in 1910, as according to the General Register Office Death Index a Barnet Ludski died that year aged 80 in the Hackney District (Vol. 1b, p. 208). Presumably the Company was carried on by his family, and I am hoping to go through other directories to try and establish the movements of the Firm over the following years. Once again when I have done this I will post up the various addresses here, in case Forum members are interested.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 20-06-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 16-05-09, 06:49 PM

Default Ludski/ Ludlow

Well done. Excellent research. Commercial St/ Spitalfields/ Whitechapel were all populated by immigrant communities and was strongly Jewish until the 1970's. Lots of small shops still exist, these days part of the 'rag-trade' run by the Asian community.

Stephen.
Old 16-05-09, 09:05 PM

Martin, Congratulations - brilliant. This is just the sort of research that we need. I had discovered that 'Ludlows of London' still exist - with addresses in Medmenham, Bucks and high Wycombe, Bucks. Is this where you have found a contact ?
I'll cross this one off my list if you are on the case. I know they made officer's badges in the 1940s but yes, it would have been nice to have records.
In my case I've listed all known makers of KLR insignia and I intend to work my way through to find details - though I've only looked at Gaunt and B&P and Jennens - both, of course amongst Gaunt papers ! but there are more details I'd like. . I suspect many of us could pool resources and I think there is at least one other Forum member with some maker's records.

Bent & Parker
Dowler
Elikington
Fattorini
Firmin
Gaunt
Gladman & Norman (possibly)
Hobley
Hobson
Jennens
Lambourne
Ludlow
Pitt
Pitt & Swatkin
Smith & Wright
Stratton

(the list is made up of names on badges and documentary sources in eg WO papers)
Julian
Old 16-05-09, 09:41 PM

Default Ludlow of London Ltd/Ludlow & Co. Ltd

Hello Julian

Glad to hear you think my research has been worthwhile, and I’d certainly be happy to pass on anything I do find out about the Company to you. The gentleman I am in contact with is in fact based in London, and as far as I am aware does not have any link to Buckinghamshire. Indeed I don’t think the “Ludlow of London Ltd” you mention are actually the same as Ludlow & Co. (formerly Ludski & Son), as this other Ludlow firm seem to be footwear and leather goods retailers whereas the Ludlow & Co. in London are buttons makers. There may be a connection of course, but I would have to look into this more first.

My interest in Ludski/Ludlow is because of my research into Leicestershire Regiment cap badges, as I know these were one of the Firms to make such badges; especially those for officers. I am also interested in Bent & Parker for the same reasons, though have yet to really look into these, as well as J.R. Gaunt, again because I know they too made Leicesters badges. I will try and e-mail you about things so we can maybe collaborate a little, and as I said before once I’ve been able to extract some more information from the London trade directories for Ludlow & Co. I’ll post the various addresses up here for the interest of everyone on the Forum.

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-05-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 17-05-09, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
Hello Kevin

P.S. it would be really good to know what evidence can be deduced from the badges themselves of course, in the way of dateable marks that is, i.e. hallmarks - if anyone has any such items by Ludski or Ludlow they could post up?
Here is what I can add, I have an Irish Guards W/O pattern cap star in my collection. The piece is marked "Ludlow/ Sterling /London".

The cap star has been brooched and inscribed "To Mum, Love, Violet & Arthur 1943"

Assuming that the piece had not been pre-dated during the engraving it appears as if they were using the name Ludlow by 1943.

Photo below (not the best quality - taken quickly this evening sorry) .

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9234.jpg (97.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 17-05-09, 01:13 PM

Default Ludlow by 1943

Hi John

Many thanks for the information from your Irish Guards’ star badge. The date of 1943 would only been a couple of years after the apparent incorporation of Ludlow & Co., but is still some ten years after the name change; going by the trade and telephone directories’ entries. As a new collector I don’t personally have any badges by Ludski or Ludlow, though I do aspire to own some particularly their Leicestershire tiger ones which I have seen. I don’t know if the Firm ever did use hallmarks, as yours is just marked ‘Sterling’, but if anyone else has examples it would be interesting to know what the dates are. Maybe other members are now having a rummage through their collections, and with luck we might have some more postings on this. I’ll certainly put up more information on the Company’s different addresses over the years once I have it, but in the meantime thanks again for the contribution - every little snippet of info helps!

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-05-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 17-05-09, 11:59 PM

Hi Martin,
Excellent work, my compliments.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 23-05-09, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Super stuff Martin, can I use your research in the makers marks pages??

I can work on pages & images on here all day and you can't see where I've been, it would lighten my load a little.

added last night & today, bet no one noticed :

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...nada/index.htm

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...ment/index.htm

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...nada/index.htm
Old 23-05-09, 02:47 PM

Default Makers’ Marks Pages

Hi Mike

Pleased to hear you too think my little bit of research has been worthwhile, and yes you’re more than welcome to use things for the pages on Makers’ Marks. Anything I put up on the Forum is intended to inform the wider badge collecting community, and hopefully complements the work you and others are already doing to make this site a real resource for everyone interested in the hobby. I for one have benefited from all the wealth of information here, and so would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your hard work in setting things up. I do now actually have a couple more addresses for Ludlow, but will wait until I have a fuller list before adding them to this thread. As I’ve said before, it would be good to get some more information from actual badges in the way of dateable marks - if anyone has any such items tucked away in their collection!?

Best regards

Martin

P.S. Many thanks for your kind words as well ‘fougasse1940’, I’m glad to know my efforts are appreciated by other members. I will post up more information when I can, especially if I hear anything from the Firm itself about its history and/or any surviving records.

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-05-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 27-05-09, 04:05 PM

Default Ludlow - Manufactures Since 1867

I came across another snippet of information today about Ludlow & Co. on the Grace’s Guide website containing details of “The Best of British Engineering. 1750-1960s” - it’s a copy of an advertisement for the Firm that appeared in the March 1946 issue of The British Trade Journal & Export World, p. 351. As well as saying that Ludlow & Co. Ltd made “Officers’ Badges and Buttons”, the interesting thing here is that the advert also clearly states that the Company have been “Actual Manufactures Since 1867”; which is a good few years earlier that the date of 1873 for their establishment in Harfield’s A Commercial Directory of the Jews of the United Kingdom (published in 1894), and which I noted in post #4 of this thread. If I can find out any more about which of these dates is correct, then I’ll be sure to post it up.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 30-05-09 at 10:15 AM.
Old 29-05-09, 09:51 AM

Default Ludlow- the final chapter?

Martin,

Going through my notes I found the following extract re Ludlow & Co Ltd in PRO WO32/12842.

'14.08.56. Letter written to War Office by Ludlow & Co Ltd, 1-3 Smith’s Court, Great Windmill Street, W1 enquiring if they were on the list of manufacturers to whom the Ministry of Supply grant tenders.
15.08.56. WO reply that Ludlow were not on the current list.'

There were no indications that this had been reviewed subsequently. It might be presumed that 1956 can be considered the last dates of manufacture by this company. There is however, no indication when Ludlow lost MofS approval so they may not have been supplying insignia for some time before.

Regards, Stephen.
Old 29-05-09, 06:39 PM

Default Ludlow in the 1940s & 1950s

Hello Stephen

That’s very interesting indeed to read about these letters you found regarding Ludlow and the Ministry of Supply, and I am most grateful to you for sharing this and the reference to them with us. Presumably though even if the Firm was no longer able to tender for contracts, they could still have provided badges for private purchase? Although I can’t be sure, I was under the impression that Ludski/Ludlow mainly made officers’ badges rather than ORs ones, so maybe we shouldn’t read too much into the 1956 date as an absolute end date for their badge production. Having said that you could well be right, and the Company might not have been actively still making badges by the late 1950s.

If the trade directories are any kind of guide, then the last entry I can find to them as “military accoutrement mkrs” is in that of 1942 (the library I use doesn’t have a directory for 1943), and by 1944 they are listed specifically as “button mfrs”. This would seem to indicate a deliberate move away from the manufacture of badges and other regalia in favour of button making, though the 1946 advertisement I mentioned above does say they were still making “Officers’ badges and buttons” as well as “all metal parts worn on the uniforms of the fighting services” at that date. Another interesting point about the 1942 London Trade Directory entry is that this would seem to be the first where the Firm is given as a limited company - “Ludlow & Co. Ltd.” rather than the plain “Ludlow & Co.” of the 1940 one (though again my library doesn’t have a directory for 1941). This fits well with the 1941 incorporation of the Firm as recorded by Companies’ House, and which I noted in post #3 of the thread.

Anyway, many thanks again for the contribution and if anyone else has information on the Company, or any examples of their badges that might shed light on matters, then it would be really good to know about things.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 12-06-09 at 05:13 PM.

Tags
badge makers, ludlow, ludski, makers marks