British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-10, 05:32 PM
Badge Guru

Does this mean there is a slim chance that there were OSD J. R. Gaunt London cap badges with lugs?
Old 29-06-10, 07:01 PM

Peter, It sounds as though you have a very interesting collection of Gaunt material.
On the question of officers badges, I wonder if the catalogue actually mentions officer's badges or are there any illustrations that you can definitely identify as officer's. Other makers material I have seen of a pre war date (eg in Birmingham Museum) tend to list only Other Rank's badges as they will have hoped to win bulk orders of these. Officer's badges would have been bespoke items, albeit costing more.

In my own (King's Regt) collection I have a two (out of 8) 1926 Pattern OSDs with loops but only one (out of 7) 1896 Pattern. In each case they are fairly crude and I believe they are wartime (1st and 2nd) productions. Julian

Tags
badge makers, gaunt