British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-10, 04:55 PM

Default Unknown TRF/DZ Flash - King's Own Fusiliers

This Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF) has mystified me for sometime. However, I now believe that it was manufactured to be worn by the King’s Own Fusiliers the fictional British Army unit portrayed in the TV series “Soldier Soldier” which ran for 80 episodes between 1991 and 1997.
In the sixth series aired in 1996 the KOF were stationed in Aldershot as part of 5 Airborne Brigade and are wearing a blue over yellow TRF or more exactly Drop Zone (DZ) Flash on the upper right sleeve and the small (50mm square) Pegasus on the upper left sleeve of their dpm combat jackets.

My example is woven with merrowed edges while those seen on the TV episodes appear to be made up from two pieces of cloth. However KOF insignia has been worn by actors in many other UK TV dramas made after Soldier Soldier ended.

Can any member confirm this identification?

See Andy’s "quiz" post for more KOF insignia

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...%27s+fusiliers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown x.JPG (53.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-02-10, 07:41 PM

GGA,
I was possibly looking at Holly Aird more than I was looking at the Kings Fusiliers cloth badges at the time the series was on TV.

The book we had which was mentioned in Andys quiz posts has disappeared again but if I can find it I will see if there are any pictures in it that might show the Kings Fusiliers TRF or DZ patch.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-02-10, 10:34 PM

TRF's only date from around 2002/3 and only the DZ Flashes existed around circa 1996 and the sixth series of 'Soldier Soldier'

More effort should be put into differentiating between the two different flashes!

TRF's to my mind serve no useful purpose!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 03-02-10, 10:39 PM

Video cover of 6th Series

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 03-02-10, 11:06 PM

My example with merrowed edges is certainly smaller than the 70mm square DZ Flash as in your illustration. My point is that a TRF in identical colours but in the smaller more 'standard' TRF size has been made and I have one. Who/what is it for?
I suggest that it accompanies other King's Own Fusilier insignia when worn on TV drama shows.
Always difficult to be categoric when trying to date the introduction of badges but TRFs under various names were being worn in Bosnia for example in the 1990s and a fellow member's book illustrating many of them was published in 2000. Some Regiments were slower than others in getting ADC approval. I designed one for my Corps in 1996 - unfortunately the design was rejected!
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=12215
Old 03-02-10, 11:33 PM

True, but I would say the earler badges worn in Bosnia were more 'Regimental Flashes' with no overall ADC approval, than the later more generic termed 'TRF' the ADC aimed to regulate.

In the RLC for example almost every regiment had its own flash! and not one of them was based on the DZ Flash (other than 13 AA Regt itself) or even the later TRF

I was not suggesting your flash is the same as the one I illustrated, but someone asked and I provided an image for comparison. Your image comes out at 95mm squared so you cannot tell how big or small it really is?

All this does not however help in your ID quest...

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 03-02-10 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 11:53 PM

Mike,
Thanks, my image is a photo not a scan so 'not to scale', the badge is 60mm square.

Nomenclature, like dating badge usage, is another difficult area - there is plenty of confusion even in the British Army, never mind amongst collectors, over describing for example Formation Badges as Signs or Flashes sometimes (outside the UK - even patches!).
This is not helped by the terse language used when listing military stores in COSA and other official publications. Remember the perhaps apocryphal: "Pokers, Soldier" and "Cups, Rubber, Lunatic"!
Old 04-02-10, 12:21 AM

I seem to remember the badge being worn in I think the 2006 Season 3 of 'The Last Detective' starring Peter Davison as DC Dangerous Davies, from its date they must have worn a spurious TRF?

I wonder how many other outing the badge has had since 1997?

I think episodes of

Holby City
Silent Witness
Touch of Frost [or was it a RE badge - It was certainly filmed in Ripon]
Heartbeat [badge only I think without hackle]

I always imagine all the ex squadies sat on the edge of their seats picking holes in anything involving the military LoL

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 04-02-10, 02:42 PM

Thanks again Mike, it looks like The King's Own Fusiliers (Television Force) it is! I just wonder how sellers will catalogue it 20 years from now!

Tags
king's own fusiliers, trf