British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-18, 05:39 AM

Default Returned From Active Service Badge WW2

Can someone give me some general info in regards to the WW2 Returned From Active Service badge?

ie Did every Aussie returning from abroad receive one of these? Were they all numbered?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAS.jpg (101.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-11-18, 06:27 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Bull

As far as I know all returned men received the badge and yes they are numbered behind the crown and they are marked on the back, Issued by the C'welth Govt. The number is stamped into the badge and the lettering is raised and has been done as part of the die stamping. I have my dads and have checked. Dads badge has a Kings Crown and they were also issued to the men who served in BCOF and in Korea. The badge is also issued with a Queens crown and was issued to Vietnam vets.

There is also a similar yellow brass badge that is a larger and vertical design and this was issued to men who had served but had not deployed and therefore were not returned veterans.

Regards Phil.
Old 12-11-18, 06:31 AM

Hi Bull,

these badges were issued to returning soldiers from 1940 to quite recently (the crown changing in the 1953) with QEII.

That were awarded for a minimum of 1 day in a war zone.

The initial ones were made by Rodd, then K.G. Luke then Sheridan and finally by Amor. (source: Australians Awarded - Clive Johnson)

They were individually numbered, and while I am not sure, they could possibly could be traced in the Australian archives.

Prefixes as follows:

"A" Army
"AF" Air Force
"N" Navy

They were not awarded to the Merchant Navy. Lugs are the most common attachments, but they do exist with a broach attachment as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Tim
Old 12-11-18, 11:54 PM

Default RAS Badge

Here's mine. Awarded to me in 1965 for service during the Indonesian Confrontation. As you can see it bears the King's Crown. I've not seen QC versions . . . maybe they changed some time later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1453.jpg (67.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1452.jpg (52.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 13-11-18, 07:01 AM

Thanks elgee,

This is very interesting. I got the info from Clive Johnson's book, but first hand info trumps all! I wonder if it was old stock being used up? According to Clive, the the crown changed in '53, but also the fixings changed from loops to the now common clutch fitting around 1965, so maybe the QC was not issued before '65, and stores were being used up before the new ones were issued.

The fact you haven't seen a QC one, suggests Clive's time line was possibly out.

Great info, thanks!

Cheers, Tim
Old 01-12-18, 04:27 AM

A couple of QC versions for view... one with clutch pins one with loops.
I have not checked who these were issued to so if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030032.jpg (63.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1030030.jpg (43.5 KB, 9 views)