British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-20, 03:39 PM

Default RA Officers Beret

I'm in the process of sadly packing away my caps and berets and it occurred I probably hadn't posted a pic of this, I found it in an antique shop for a fiver I think, just giving it a quick clean and squirt of moth killer before cataloguing and packing away. Sigh 😢
Alli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200621_162717.jpg (62.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 21-06-20, 03:58 PM

Can't really go wrong for five quid, but, why are you packing it away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
I'm in the process of sadly packing away my caps and berets and it occurred I probably hadn't posted a pic of this, I found it in an antique shop for a fiver I think, just giving it a quick clean and squirt of moth killer before cataloguing and packing away. Sigh 😢
Alli
Old 21-06-20, 04:58 PM

Because some of the collection are showing signs of moth trails it's a few older ones so the damage might have been there to start with but they are getting dusty as well so cataloguing them as I've just finished the badges, cleaning, then I'll be packing away in the boxes that should be here at the end of the week then off in the loft they go until suitable dust free display options are available. I'll leave all my helmets and bearskin out though. I feel very sad about it, as I feel a part if me is being put away, but I'd be sadder if anything was damaged further.
Old 21-06-20, 05:07 PM

Fair enough, now then, you have a bearskin, how old, which regiment?
Old 21-06-20, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Fair enough, now then, you have a bearskin, how old, which regiment?
Oh Frank you must have seen the pics?? It's old, and unknown regiment I have yet to decide what to plume it as, but whoever wore it had a very small head, I need a nice old Victorian plume to go on it.
Old 22-06-20, 11:23 AM

Nice beret, good badge.

I have bagged quite a few of my caps up recently, in with moth balls, partly because of the moths and also I have too many to display neatly and they get dusty and hard to monitor them easily.

Jerry
Old 22-06-20, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Nice beret, good badge.

I have bagged quite a few of my caps up recently, in with moth balls, partly because of the moths and also I have too many to display neatly and they get dusty and hard to monitor them easily.
Hi Jerry,

I've been a bit lapse with mine as been preoccupied elsewhere, they need to be displayed in cases, so just packing them all away for now. I feel sad as there are some beauties among them such as the South Lancs from Paul that I restored, such a lovely cap and stunning badge, and an immaculate RF officers cap and silver & gilt badge, and the lovely RNF officers cap and bullion badge, just things of beauty in my eyes. But I want them to last so best off boxed up. I've just cleaned and catalogued the helmet collection(Current favourite is the RAF bone dome.)

They are not being put away, all nice and clean sitting atop my book cases, so I don't feel like my personality has been packed away in the loft.
Alli