British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-10, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck13 View Post
"It is not known why these shoulder titles were available in both white and yellow/gold lettering"

Ken Joyce: Into the Maelstrom - The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion - History-Insignia-Uniforms
ISBN 978-1-894581-39-4

One theory that has been discussed is that the gold lettering was intended to be representative of the battalion's distinction within the 6th Airborne Division,
much like the gold identification strip worn at the end of the epaulette. This strip was worn to differentiate the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion from other battalions within the Division.

Recce

Your title looks good to me. WWII era.

The Airborne Canada shoulder title was authorized for wear by personnel permanently attached to either the battalion or school, in April 1943.

There is a common misconception out there that this early title was only worn during training. Though uncommon, some members of the battalion continued to wear this title overseas.

Ok thanks for clearing that Up Yous Guys confused Moi, Lol. I posted the Green Patch first and asked, when you posted both of the different Shoulder Titles Of 1st Batt I thought your telling me that yours are the ones that are WWII not the Green Patch.

I was told vigorously years ago concerning both patches in question, and first Time I've seen or heard of the Goldish Letters, which I fined nicer. Your right I was advised first used in Canada or training in Britain as the US and many continued during the War to wear them, as Mr Voltigeur Pic from the LAC Shows.

Last edited by Recce; 31-10-10 at 11:51 PM.
Old 31-10-10, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Thanks Amigo for the Pic, clears up that question quickly.

That Pic should be posted on Photo with Canadian wear Insg,
a great exsample.
Old 01-11-10, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Just a quick note. There were far more para trained soldiers than those in the 1 Canandian Parachute Battalion. Only the personnel in the battalion were entitled to wear the 1 Can Para titles, and the others in the training system and reinforcement system or not assigned to the battalion wore the Airborne Canada title.
Old 01-11-10, 12:35 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill. So, can it be assumed that the gentlemen in the photo would not (yet) be a member of the battalion, but in the training system or reinforcement system?
Old 01-11-10, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

The best way to evaluate the photo is to say he is para, but not on the strength of the 1 Can Para.
Old 01-11-10, 01:29 AM

Default trades

Is it me or is the Sgt on the right wearing a "T" tradesman patch over his Sgt Rank?
Old 01-11-10, 01:41 AM

If the corporal was not on the strength of 1 Canadian Para Bn, would he be wearing the Div patch and the loop on his epaulette?

Michael, not it's not you wearing the trade badge, it is the sergeant.

Phil
Old 01-11-10, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Opps, That image was taken shortly before 1 Can Para received their titles. Until then they were wearing the Airborne / Canada titles.
Old 01-11-10, 03:24 AM

isn't it somewhat unusual for the "T' trade patch to be worn overseas? These guys may be straight off the boat...
Old 01-11-10, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

To add to last evening's post, 1 Cdn Para received their distinctive printed shoulder titles in late May, just in time for D-Day.
Old 01-11-10, 12:57 PM

Any reasons why the corporal is not wearing the Airborne strip and (no CVSM) and the sergeant is (see his left arm) ?????

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 01-11-10, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Title: Non-commissioned officers of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, Salisbury, England, 14 May 1944. (L-R): Corporal George L. Reid, Sergeant O.K. Skelton. Location: Salisbury, Englandate: May 14, 1944.Photographer: Bonter, Elmer R., PhotographerMikan Number: 3574090
Ok just before D in late May they Received the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion patch in Maroon with the white letters Embroidered.
I just looked at 120 Pics of 1st Batt from D.D. till post and all wearing the the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Patch.

Therfore the Green Patch Came first with the All Brass Badge, and that was my original Question To Mr.Bill., Lol.

I got one more question, Lol Concerning 1st Batt??? Instead of the white letters being embroidered, were they ever Issue printed in
white Letters???

Last edited by Recce; 01-11-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 08:38 PM

One like this...

"The printed cotton shoulder titles were first issued between 9 May and 19 May 1944".
Ken Joyce: Into the Maelstrom - The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion - History-Insignia-Uniforms
ISBN 978-1-894581-39-4

Last edited by James S; 01-11-10 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck13 View Post
One like this...

"The printed cotton shoulder titles were first issued between 9 May and 19 May 1944".
ISBN 978-1-894581-39-4
Yes like that one, the back is Black tightly woven Cotton. Good Stuff now we have all the variations of
Shoulder Patches for that period? Unless theres still 1 I missed the boat on. Well the coldish letters was
News to Moi,Lol.?

Therefore all these Patches are associated with the First Issued Brass Canadian Airborne Badge.

Just Like the 1st US Canada SSF Red Patch, many variations made I know of 6-7?

I should make a thread on That.

Last edited by Recce; 01-11-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 11:13 PM

Default One more...

UK-made embroidered shoulder title. "authorized for walking out"