British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-16, 05:27 PM

Default Bizarre family re-unite

Hello all,

Some moons back I was lucky and I won from auction great QSA that belonged to William Henry Aubin Croker (1852 – 17 June 1935) who was Captain (Honourably Major), 4th Battalion City of Dublin Militia.

He retired 1907 because of his old age.

Last weekend I picked up great shooting award (I have seen now 3 of them around to the same team from 1921 and all were RDF officers).

Now, during his service, there was a young Lieutenant, who met his daughter. I was lucky enough to pick up his shooting medal.

Major William Croker's daughter Elizabeth Constance Jane Croker and Lieutenant Kenneth Charles Weldon (later Lieutenant Colonel, DSO, MID, French Legion of Honour) married on 14 November 1906.

From 1912 onwards Captain Kenneth Charles Weldon served as an Adjutant of the 4th (Dublin City Militia) Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

I think it is pretty weird pick up to find out this kind of connection
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).

Last edited by phaethon; 16-03-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 15-03-16, 05:27 PM

Full story of Lt.Col. Weldon as well:

Kenneth Charles Weldon (25.04.1877 – 11.04.1958)
Lieutenant-Colonel
1st and 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Kenneth Charles Weldon was born on 25 April 1877.1 He was the son of Rev. Cannon at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin; Lewen Burton Weldon and Olivia Maria Barrington. He graduated in 1899 with a St Edward's School, Oxford and Trinity College, Dublin Bachelor of Arts (B.A.).

He commissioned to the rank of 2nd Lieutenant on the 17th February 1900 and was posted to the 2nd Battalion. At that time Boer war was on-going and he was sent to there.
He must approved himself there as a promising officer because already on the 28th May 1902 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.
He married Elizabeth Constance Jane Croker, daughter of Major William Croker, on 14 November 1906.

He was promoted again to the rank Captain on the 22nd January 1909.
1911 he was “C” Company commander, 2nd Battalion.

From 1912 onwards he served as an Adjutant of the 4th (Dublin City Militia) Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He stayed in this position until 1915,
Early 1916 he was transferred to France where he landed on 17th February as a part of 16th Irish Division.

In there he was attached to the 7th Royal Irish Fusiliers as a Major and battalion commanding officer.

In the Westen Front Major Weldon distinguished himself and got mentioned in Despatches and French Legion of Honour order. On 1st January 1917 London Gazette announced Distinguished Service Order for him as a part of New Year's Honour. The warrant for his DSO was sent to him on 24 March 1917 and he was invested by the King at Buckingham Palace on 24 January 1917.

13th April 1918 Lieutenant Colonel took command of 1st and 2nd composite battalion of Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
After the war he stayed in Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was in 1st Battalion. 1921 he took part of shooting competition as a part of regiment team and won this medal.

In 2nd August 1922, after the Royal Dublin Fusiliers was disbanded, Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth Charles Weldon was transferred into 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters.

Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth Charles Weldon, DSO retired from active service on the 14th July 1928.

He settled in England and died on 11 April 1958 at age 80 at Moreton, Dorset. On his grave there are Crests of Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Sherwood Foreresters.

Shooting award:

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).

Last edited by phaethon; 16-03-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 15-03-16, 08:10 PM

Col. Weldon is amongst good company if he's buried at Moreton Church Cemetery ... T.E.Lawrence is also buried there.
Old 15-03-16, 11:11 PM

Don't know much about medals, but isn't the style of engraving more modern than 1921?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 16-03-16, 11:01 AM

Nice re-unite and write up Timo!

Des
Old 16-03-16, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Don't know much about medals, but isn't the style of engraving more modern than 1921?

Rgds, Thomas.

Hi Thomas,

Yes, engraving looks very neat but I have seen two of the same shooting awards around here (one is displayed with family medals and not for a sale - so no reason to fake them) and they are all done with the same style.

I do not have a doubt that it is period engraving there.

Timo