British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-09, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi John, Could you post an image of the reverse of the 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion embroidered shoulder title?
Recce, Nice collection of Canadian Airborne material. The combat titles are nice, and appear to be a later issue pattern. There are several distinctly different issues for the Canadian Airborne Regiment combat titles. Some of the earlier issue had square corners. This example from my collection was issued before unification and has the somewhat scarce rank badge stars in combat.
Thanks Mr Bill I see you saw my privet pictures. and I read few of your posts in which you have an appreciation for Cloth patches or badges. The 4 combat subdued title I got them in Petawawa kite shop in 1981. I didn't know about the Square corners thanks for the heads-Up.

P.S. Mr Bill The best Airborne Wing in Cloth is yet to be seen, will share with you soon.

Canadian Dress Red and Silver Leaf wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDN Wings Red and Silver Leaf.jpg (89.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CDN Wings Red and Silver Leaf Back.jpg (97.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-10-09, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Recce, Thanks for the images.
The back of the 1 Can Para title posted by Blackpowder44 was the one I was looking for.
Looking forward to your wing posting.
Old 09-10-09, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi Recce, Thanks for the images.
The back of the 1 Can Para title posted by Blackpowder44 was the one I was looking for.
Looking forward to your wing posting.
Hi John, Could you post an image of the reverse of the 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion embroidered shoulder title?

Yes I know Mr Bill, that part of the MSG was not directed at me.

Mr John if you can kill to birds with one stone I would like to see Your para Wing in dress, all in a
goldish colour with a gold wings and leaf, Back and front would be appreciated, I never seen one,
very nice indeed.
Old 30-10-09, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Recce, Nice collection of Canadian Airborne material. The combat titles are nice, and appear to be a later issue pattern. There are several distinctly different issues for the Canadian Airborne Regiment combat titles. Some of the earlier issue had square corners. This example from my collection was issued before unification and has the somewhat scarce rank badge stars in combat.
Sorry Bill but the badges are stuck to the backing paper and I really do not want to pull them off in case of damage. John.
Old 09-11-09, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
I thought I would start this forum off with a post about Canadian Airborne Forces insignia. Below is some insignia I have in my collection and thought they may be of interest.

Attachment 332Attachment 335
Canadian Parachute Corps and Wings WW2

Attachment 333
1st Canadian Para
Attachment 334
Airborne flash

I will publish some Osons and regular stuff later

Regards, Garry
The thing that gives these post war British made EM badges away as incorrect is that they are made in the style (and usually size) of the officer's badge. Notice the difference in the lower feathers compared to an enlisted man's badge... very different which makes these fakes so easy to spot. No matter if the badge is made in brass, copper, bronze, silver, has a slider or lugs, if it is made in the style of the officer's badge but is being sold as an EM badge then it's not original. It's as simple as that. Only the multi piece officer's badge will be made in that style.
Old 09-12-09, 02:08 PM

Default Badges Used by Canadians

These four parachute wings were all taken off a Canadian SSF Smock in CFB Petawawa in 1986. I rescued them from the tailor shop as they make a nice cross section of what could be worn on one uniform.

Old 12-12-09, 04:59 AM

Default Canadian Wings

Here are Garrison Dress and Pathfinder Wings from my collection.

Old 05-01-10, 08:51 PM

Here is my collection of 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion badges.
The officers' cap badge is plated, but what is interesting is the ORs brass badge has the stamped lugs.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CanPara.JPG (66.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 1CanParaLugs.JPG (47.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-01-10, 01:42 AM

Default 1 Can Para

Nice stuff Phil!
Old 08-01-10, 03:16 AM

Phil, I would be interested in detailed photos of that officer's badge if possible. I have heard the flat stamped lugs referred to as "Canadian style". What is the story behind this reference?
Old 08-01-10, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Steve, Clarification please. Are you referring to flat lug officer's badges, or flat lug badges, or's issue? My understanding is that all issue brass or's badges were made in Canada, but there were different Canadian makers but using the same dies.
Old 08-01-10, 09:55 PM

To be honest Bill, I don't know. I've heard this term thrown around and seen badge descriptions on the internet where they refer to flat lugs as "Canadian style". This would lead me to believe that the flat lugs are unique to Canada but I really don't know if that is what's meant by this term. Maybe it's not a common expression but I've seen it enough times that it means something to some people out there.
Old 08-01-10, 11:50 PM

Here are the images of my 1 Can Para officer's cap badge.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CanParaOff1.JPG (46.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg CanParaOff2.JPG (34.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CanParaOLugs.JPG (36.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg CanParaScully.JPG (23.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-01-10, 12:13 AM

Thanks Phil. So, it's a standard officer's badge that has been electroplated? Looks awfully shiney
Old 09-01-10, 12:24 AM

It is a standard officer's badge that has been plated. I was very lucky to have purchased the entire lot in 1991 from a highly reputable dealer who got it directly from the former officer himself. I have the officer's name, but I will not print it here. Included were all of the cloth items and the pair of collar badges.

Phil