British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-18, 06:30 AM

Default An Eagle with a skull inset?

Hi, I am trying to assist a family member in identifying military insignia his father brought back from WWII. I know nothing about this "field" as I'm more the type to do family tree research , but I agreed to help.

I have come up with nothing resembling this piece when searching google, and I hope perhaps someone can help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180730_001110.jpg (29.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20180730_002835.jpg (52.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 30-07-18, 12:19 PM

Default Unknown

It looks to me as though it could be a piece of horse furniture or livery, what are the fixings on the back?

Rob
Old 30-07-18, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
It looks to me as though it could be a piece of horse furniture or livery, what are the fixings on the back?

Rob
Hi , Rob.

Sadly , I have no idea. This is part of a big collection of that has been mounted and put behind glass. To make things more complicated, I'm not in the same country and am working off photographs.

These belonged to my grandfather , and he served with the Allies in the Western Desert and Italy in WWII , if that is perhaps useful. (South African Medical Corps) His father served and died in WWI with the 2nd South African Horse regiment in East Africa.