British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-04-09, 07:06 AM
L&BH

Smile The Royal Scots officer badge

Dear Gentlemen,

I was wondering if someone knew the average price for "The Staff Badge" (name of The Royal Scots cap badge worn by Colour Sergeants and above) representing the Star of the Order of the Thistle in silver plate; on the star, a raised circle in gilt or gilded metal inscribed with the motto of the Order - "Nemo me impune lacessit" (no one attacks me with impunity) and within the circle on a ground of green enamel, the Thistle? I'm especially interested in a WWII version, not the modern staybrite stuff (though knowing price for both interests me too).

Cheers
phil
Old 30-04-09, 04:25 PM

I have seen them range from as low as $30 US up to $150 US depending on quality, condition and vintage; an early hallmarked example falling within the later range of course.

CB
Old 30-04-09, 04:36 PM
L&BH

Hi CB,
thanks for the indication. Will now chase one
Phil
Old 30-04-09, 07:43 PM

As a matter of interest. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between this, and the "Staff" badge of the Scots Guards. Leask & McCance say they are identical, but some dealers who I have spoken to say they are not !!?? Confused as ever. Jeff
Old 30-04-09, 07:46 PM
L&BH

There is a big difference: shape and size of the badge.
Royal Scots:

Scots Guards star:

Last edited by L&BH; 30-04-09 at 09:28 PM.
Old 30-04-09, 08:59 PM

Default different patterns

Phil. From the Regimental History "Records of the Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)" compiled by J.C.Leask & H.M.McCance. Pub 1915 and widely regarded as the "Bible" with regard to the regiment.
The elongated pattern of the badge you show was not adopted until 1931 (see Bloomer)* and again, seems to have been adopted in this pattern by both the R.Scots and the Scots Guards. Could be wrong, but that is the information I have from the sources as indicated. Jeff
PS: * Bloomer's first book published in 1973, viz: "Scottish Regimental Badges 1793-1971" pages 5&6 figs 30&31

L&McC Plate XLI.jpg L&McC Text XLI.jpg

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 30-04-09 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Clarification re Bloomer reference
Old 30-04-09, 09:13 PM
L&BH

Thanx Jeff for the plate and dates.
Got my info from both Royal Scots' website and the book on the SG 1919-1955 by David Erskine. The former is for sure not complete and doesn't mention what you've showed me, and I really don't doubt your sources.
Old 02-05-09, 12:00 PM
L&BH

Additional pictures of SG & RS officers' cap badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SG1.jpg (92.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SG2.jpg (73.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SG3.jpg (99.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RS1.jpg (42.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RS2.jpg (28.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg RS3.jpg (26.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-05-09, 10:38 PM

Default You Win !

Phil. Thanks for the excellent pics. Are these by any chance your badges ? If so, well done !
Also, I have to admit that, after giving the matter some more thought, I am now slowly beginning to come around to your point of view re the Scots Guards/Royal Scots "Staff" badges...although I still believe they were identical up to 1931, since I can't accept the L&McC and Bloomer are both wrong. What you have said however does appear to be supported by Major T.J.Edwards in the 6th edition of his book (see attachments). However I have been offered the modern elongated star badge as "Scots Guards" on several occasions by dealers who should have known better. And so should I for that matter! Sorry if I have "muddied the waters" on this one, but now I believe you are perfectly right. Regards. Jeff

L&McC Cover.jpg Bloomers first book.jpg Edwards book 6Ed.jpg SG Cap badges (1).jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS Cap badges (1).jpg (63.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 02-05-09 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 06:19 AM
L&BH

Hi Jeff,

no problem at all. Unfortunately they aren't...yet (the SG is for sale by now at a militaria dealer...if you want the link, let me know), but, to be honest, am chasing such ones. SG & RS badges are very tricky. In Erskine book about the SG during WWII, there is the account of an officer of 2nd Bn. who listed all the stars and badges variations worn by soldiers of his Bn during the North African and Italian campaigns. Simply astounding and going against the regulations by that time. For instance, he mentions that some officers who had lost their star had some made in brass in Cairo. Others used their tunic embroidered collars as badge for their beret or SD cap. Will try to post a scan today.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by L&BH; 03-05-09 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the kind offer Phil, but I no longer collect...just interested that's all. Would appreciate any further scans tho'. Regards. Jeff
PS: Just been to Outwood Badge & Medal Fair, Scots Guards Offs badges are going for £70 to £100 there,depending on condition and age. Did not see any R.Scots Offs badges tho'

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 03-05-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 08:43 AM
L&BH

The SG officer's star I put in my last post is for sale at £75, which is fair. The RS was sold £47...but I was too late to get it!
Old 04-05-09, 06:02 PM

Phil. WD you believe it, I think I have found the site to which you refer ! Sorry you missed your purchase. Have you tried "Bluebell Militaria" on :

http://bluebellmilitaria.co.uk/shop/shop.php

they are very good on Scottish badges. Don't know if they have a RS on offer at the moment tho' Regards. Jeff
Old 04-05-09, 06:36 PM
L&BH

Yes Jeff, that's it! Bluebell has some nice pieces too though prices are generally higher than WD. Pete is also selling a SG officer's star at the moment.
Old 29-09-15, 02:16 PM

Hello,

I picked this up today, am looking for some more information on it and wondered whether anyone on here can help.

I'm assuming it's a sterling Royal Scots Officers Service cap star and is WW2 vintage, but not sure. It's 3cm high and 2.5cm wide. Would be grateful for any further info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.6 KB, 38 views)