British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-18, 01:15 PM
Glosters Cloth

Default AA Proficiency Badges

Dear All,
I have been researching WWII RA Searchlight Regiment and AA Regiment Trade/Proficiency badges worn by our chaps and now have several Searchlight (SLO in a wreath) type variations.
However, I've just come across a 'P' within a wreath and I believe this might either be WWII Plotter, Fortress Plotting Room (Coast Artillery) or a WWII Predictor (Anti Aircraft Artillery).
This I believe was worn by RA and ATS personnel attached to Coastal Artillery and AA units?
Can anyone confirm or otherwise please?
Many thanks,
Ken 👍
Old 16-10-18, 01:49 PM

No 77a in "British Army Proficiency Badges" (aka "Edwards and Langley")
Plotter, Fortress Plotting Room (Coast Artillery).
Also Predictor, (Anti Aircraft Artillery).

Skill at Arms badge, worn upper right arm.

PVCN 1936 by an ammendment in Feb 1938.

Worn during WWII by RA Personnel and ATS, later WRAC, attached to Coast Artillery and AA units.
Old 16-10-18, 02:31 PM
Glosters Cloth

Thanks Leigh.
So, an officially authorised badge unlike the SLO badge which I'm told was totally unofficial and although widely worn, never had official clearance to be worn?
What I struggle with is that with no money available due to wartime conditions, how come this unauthorised badge was so widely worn around the various AA Divisions? It's not like they had a Silvermans catalogue!
Old 16-10-18, 02:40 PM

SLO in wreath is listed as no. 210 amongst "Unidentified, Unauthenticated and Unofficial Badges".

Searchlight operator. Worn by Royal Engineers, later by Royal Artillery, during the blitz of WWII. It is also found in gold/blue (for wear with No1 Dress) and therefore one may suppose it to be official but there is no substantiation for this.

(We'd better lay low for a while now - all this sharing of info instead of buying the book is eating into grumpy's pension money).
Old 16-10-18, 03:03 PM

Here are some of my SLO badges

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slo.jpg (77.5 KB, 25 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-10-18, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
SLO in wreath is listed as no. 210 amongst "Unidentified, Unauthenticated and Unofficial Badges".

Searchlight operator. Worn by Royal Engineers, later by Royal Artillery, during the blitz of WWII. It is also found in gold/blue (for wear with No1 Dress) and therefore one may suppose it to be official but there is no substantiation for this.

(We'd better lay low for a while now - all this sharing of info instead of buying the book is eating into grumpy's pension money).
A kind thought, but I am down to a few copies of the first edition [better clarity of photos] and the same for the second [good addenda]. I don't seek to sell any more, too much hassle and nobody knows what a fair price is.

The scene is set for a modern author to do the job properly, using modern resources and modern information technology. In colour of course,
Old 17-10-18, 10:00 AM

Ken,

In response to your PM here are my Height Taker and Plotter badges.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Height&PlotterW.jpg (58.2 KB, 23 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 18-10-18, 09:37 AM
Glosters Cloth

Simon, super image - many thanks for allowing me to see it.
So, I'm at the Mark Carter Militaria Fair in Stratford on Avon this Sunday and am looking for a Height Takers badge!
Thanks again Simon ��
Ken