British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-08, 10:55 AM

Default RASC Boat Squadron.

Hi All,
Some years ago I purchased a small collar sized RASC badge on a slider porporting to be a WW11 RASC Boat Squadron Badge and assured by the seller that it was the genuine article.On arrival home and on closer examination I started to have doubts,the slider was very crudely attatched and I also noticed that there was a die fault running just above the Royal and running down to Army on the title.
I decided to return the badge to the dealer at the next event but he wasn't there and he never did appear again.I stuck the badge away and decided like so many others to put it down to lesson learnt.
You can imagine my surprise on reading an article in this months July/Aug 2008 Armourer Magazine an article about the The Boat Squadron where it states that all genuine badges had a die fault exactly as mine had.I'm now looking for space in my display where I can fit it in.
A happy story for a change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RASC boat front.jpg (36.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg RASC Boat back.jpg (41.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-07-08, 03:05 PM

Smile RASC boat Sqdn

Isn't is sods law that you get a badge and you have doubts, this has happened to me in the past and I have been tempted to throw the badge in disgust, but wait, why would anyone bother to fix a slider to a RASC collar badge and tell you it was a special unit. Only someone totally dishonest or someone who knew a person in the unit and who wore the badge.
I have a photo of a family friend who was wearing RASC collars on B.D., which is unusual, taken c1940. Generally collar badges were not worn on B.D., so what happened to the collars?
Answer, worn as cap badges by certain units.
Old 06-07-08, 07:33 PM

Check out this months 'Armourer magazine', that is a Boat borne RASC badge IIRC, there is a section all about the RASC and obscure units pop up....

Tom
Old 07-07-08, 06:23 AM

Default Boat Companies

Hi both,
Thanks for the replies.In actual fact the article states that they did not use collars but a specially made badge of collar size !!!When we have discussed quality and sealed patterns of badges it just shows you how they are, "Put on the back burner" when the time requires it.Something that must be taken into consideration for future reference.
Regards
Bantam