British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-23, 11:14 AM

Default Norfolk Regt, Britannia on a plinth badge

I recently acquired this gilt Norfolk officers badge. It is not one of the die stamped gilding metal/ bi-metal fakes that are common on the internet with this style of badge. But it doesn't have the lugs I would expect for an officers badge. I would expect to see East-West orientated long lugs (or blades). It‘s stamped JR GAUNT LONDON on the reverse.

I have been wondering if it is maybe a collar badge? I've seen photographs of this type of Britannia on a plinth badge being worn on the collar. Note that it is the same size as a cap badge.

Any thoughts welcome on what it is / it's authenticity. Thanks.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8608.jpg (117.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8609.jpg (117.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8610.jpg (113.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-03-23, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
I recently acquired this gilt Norfolk officers badge. It is not one of the die stamped gilding metal/ bi-metal fakes that are common on the internet with this style of badge. But it doesn't have the lugs I would expect for an officers badge. I would expect to see East-West orientated long lugs (or blades). It‘s stamped JR GAUNT LONDON on the reverse.

I have been wondering if it is maybe a collar badge? I've seen photographs of this type of Britannia on a plinth badge being worn on the collar. Note that it is the same size as a cap badge.

Any thoughts welcome on what it is / it's authenticity. Thanks.

Paul
Hello Paul,

A lovely example of a gilt officers' forage cap badge, which was also issued in bronze for the Service Dress.

Photographic evidence exists showing it also being worn by WOs.

The OSD examples are more often than not seen with blades (my example has three) - the almost triangular shape of the badge presumably necessitating one fixing to be located at the upper section.

Do you have the photos of it being worn as a collar badge to show?

Regards,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-03-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 12:16 PM

Nice badge, would love to see a collar badge photo. There is a small type. Have a look in my albums, you will find a album on that badge.

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 03-03-23 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 03-03-23, 12:48 PM

Thanks JT/Andrew.

Here is an example of it being worn on the collar. Not an officer, but it does raise the possibility that my badge is an officers collar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8613.jpg (60.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-03-23, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks JT/Andrew.

Here is an example of it being worn on the collar. Not an officer, but it does raise the possibility that my badge is an officers collar.
Thanks Paul. Great pic.

And the badge in the OP is cap badge size?

The collar badge in your photo does look quite big. It'd be nice to know if it is indeed the same size as the cap badge.

Compare the sizes of the officers' cap badge and collar below. Would it be unlikely for the plinth-type collar to be larger?:

JT NA.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-03-23 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 01:29 PM

Yes the badge in the original post is cap sized. Exactly the same from the front as this other example I have of the gilt badge, but this one is on the long style East-West orientated lugs that I would expect. Not the 'shorter' N-S ones as per the OP.

The collar badge in the photo looks to me like it is the same size as the cap badge. Given it is being worn by a lance corporal it is unlikely to be gilt or bronze I would say (?) and so it does raise the question about whether this badge was made in brass/gilding metal? But that could open a whole can of worms...

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8617.jpg (116.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-03-23, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yes the badge in the original post is cap sized. Exactly the same from the front as this other example I have of the gilt badge, but this one is on the long style East-West orientated lugs that I would expect. Not the 'shorter' N-S ones as per the OP.

The collar badge in the photo looks to me like it is the same size as the cap badge. Given it is being worn by a lance corporal it is unlikely to be gilt or bronze I would say (?) and so it does raise the question about whether this badge was made in brass/gilding metal? But that could open a whole can of worms...

Paul
Well... what are cans of worms for if not opening?

Agreed: it's logical to conclude the collar badge being worn in your photo would be G/M.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-03-23 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 01:59 PM

Hardly what could be deemed admissible in court, but for the purposes of a rough gauge, I have attempted to compare the cap and collar sizes by rescaling two separate photos. Not exactly incontrovertible evidence, especially given the differences in camera and head angles, light conditions etc.

Hope you are okay with me reproducing your image, Paul? If not, please say so and I'll remove it immediately.

NR 1.jpgNR 2.jpg

I doubt it would be safe to conclude from this amateur analysis alone that the badges are the same size.

It does look to be sitting uncomfortably high on that collar though. Britannia's head is virtually in contact with our man's neck.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-03-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-03-23, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks JT/Andrew.

Great photo, and yes the badge is being worn on the collar