British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-12, 04:52 AM

Default ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE BULLION KC BADGE

Hi

Recent acquisition from the estate of a RCMP inspector who was head of the RCMP BAND in the 1930's-1940's. Looking for info about the badge including when it would have been worn.

Thanks

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCMP badge front.jpg (30.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg RCMP badge rear.jpg (24.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 18-01-12, 03:56 PM

Default Officer's KC Cap Badge RCMP

Don

Nice badge, I don't know specifically what you are wanting in regards to when the badge would have been worn. If you have or can have access to a book by James J. Boulton titled Uniforms of the Canadian Mounted Police, there are some variations of the Cap Badge in it. The one you have is similar to one that was adopted in the 1940's and is attributed to Assistant Commissioner G.B. McClellan.

Jack
Old 18-01-12, 04:07 PM

Default RCMP BADGE

Thanks Jack. I don't have access to the book and wanted to confirm that it is a reconized style from a certain period. I did some looking on the computer and couldn't find the exact same one but found a couple that are very similar. I don't collect RCMP but it is such a nice badge that I couldn't pass it up. Early to mid 40's works with INSP BROWN's tenure with the RCMP band. I believe he started around 1937 and went to after the war. He was also Director of Music for the GGFG band for many years. I also have a very nice RCMP sweetheart and a presentation platter that came from his estate. I will follow up with pictures of these as soon as I get a chance to post them.
Old 18-01-12, 04:23 PM

Default Cap Badge

Don

You will find with the RCMP and I think I can safely say that with other military organizations, that there are issued pieces of uniform and then there are ones that are purchased privately. This occured in the 1930's and it occured prior to then and still continues to this day in regards to the RCMP. I never wore certain issued badges on my Red Serge, as they were not as nice as the ones I could purchase privately from the tailor who altered our kit in the Lower Mainland. The new Commissioner of the RCMP sports KC Collar badges on his uniform even though he became a member in 1986.

As I initially said, your cap badge looks similar to the one in the book and could be issue, but it could have been a private purchase. It is still a nice badge. The Officer Cap badges that are issued today is not a particularly nice badge, IMO, they don't issue gold wire badges for officers anymore and officers still purchase gold wire cap badges and wear them instead of the issued ones to this day.

Jack
Old 19-01-12, 01:47 AM

Good Evening Don......

This looks exactly like a variant of the 1933 pattern officers cap badge....

Badge numbered 5-14 as described in......

INSIGNIA OF THE CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE 1873-1998

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 19-01-12, 04:45 PM

Default RCMP BADGE

Thanks for the info Mike.

I have had several offers for this badge but have no idea of value and I can't find where one sold in any of the usual places.

I would much prefer to trade for a comparable NEWFOUNDLAND badge that I can add to my collection. If anyone has a good idea on value or something NEWFOUNDLAND to trade please PM me.

Many thanks

Don
Old 19-01-12, 10:16 PM

Don.....

I don't know if you have seen it but there is a WW1 cloth shoulder flash for Newfoundland on ebay.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 19-01-12, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

That is not a FWW title. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=newfoundland
Old 20-01-12, 01:54 AM

Yes I saw that flash and e-mailed the seller with the correct info. Definitely WW II. Looks like its a real one; there are many copies floating around. Too bad that it has been trimed. It is overpriced for condition.