British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-11, 04:59 PM

Default Courts insignia

Following the interest shwon in my last thread about a badge with a possible Old Bailey connection, I thought you might be interested to see some insignia worn by staff and offcers of the Law Courts. So here they are:

1. Enamelled shield with QC and script "RCJ" lettering believed to date from the 1950's. Worn by uniformed staff at the Royal Courts of Justice in London. The RCJ had no police presence apart from one Met officer who attended the weekly sittings of the Court of Criminal Appeal.

2. Glasgow Sheriff Court House button. QVC gilt brass. This was the most important criminal Court in Glasgow and dealt with just about everything. High Court of Justiciary judges also sat there to deal with the most serious offences from time to time.

3. Supreme Court of British Guiana button. KC white metal. The only example of which I am aware of a colonial court button. In typical colonial style the court was presided over by English judges complete with wigs and full ceremonial robes - not a comfortable form of dress in a tropical climate, I imagine.

As you can see court insignia are quite uncommon. Generally speaking in the UK the courts only sat part time until the advent of the Crown Court in 1972, and most court duties were performed by the local police.

I hope this is of interest. Please let me know if you are aware of any other court insignia.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Courts of Justice enamel badge001.jpg (24.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Glasgow Sheriff Court button001.jpg (15.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg British Guiana Court button001.jpg (16.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 29-11-11, 05:26 PM

Hi James, I've got a few old BC Sheriffs items from my former manager at the BC courts: shoulder patches and cap badge for the old dirt brown uniform.

Here's a cap badge:

BCsheriff.jpg
Old 30-11-11, 03:52 PM

Hi Jamesb853,
Some nice items once again and thank you for showing.I must correct you though regarding the manning at courts,whilst police manned the magistrate courts,Crown Courts were manned by prison officers until privatisation in the 1990's which allowed them to be run by the private sector.
Prison staff also produced prisoners at magistrates courts if they were being held on another warrant and remained in the custody of prison staff whilst there.
Regards
Bantam
Old 30-11-11, 05:59 PM

Thank you Bantum,

I am always quite happy to be corrected.

I'm sure this practice went back to the days when the governor of the county gaol had to produce all prisoners committed for trial at the Courts of Assize and Quarter Sessions (the predecessors of the Crown Court).

James
Old 21-01-12, 12:19 AM

James,

Please keep posting and displaying anything from the Criminal Justice System. Your input is fascinating : )