British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-12, 01:25 PM

Default NFS/AFS BADGE

I have 3 badges to the National fire service/Auxiliary fire service. Can any one tell me about the "HELMET" plate to the AFS, please?? It is 75mm high, 58mm wide, chrome die struck 2 part construction of a large "star" plate with a AFS cap bagde affixed. Lugs E & W with lugs bent over for AFS badge

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-01-12, 07:59 PM

Its nice to see your AFS helmet badge Jerry. I would think a very rare item. Do you have any reverse pictures?

Your NFS badge is the same as the one in my collection by the look of it, the die cast one has slightly different letters (fatter). The die cast crown is also slightly bigger. I will try and post a phone picture. I suspect that the die cast NFS could be a reproduction badge.

It has been suggested to me by an ex AFS member that the AFS helmet badge may have been a London badge used for ceremonial reasons, he only ever had transfer stickers on his helmets.

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 13-01-12, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Its nice to see your AFS helmet badge Jerry. I would think a very rare item. Do you have any reverse pictures?

Your NFS badge is the same as the one in my collection by the look of it, the die cast one has slightly different letters (fatter). The die cast crown is also slightly bigger. I will try and post a phone picture. I suspect that the die cast NFS could be a reproduction badge.

It has been suggested to me by an ex AFS member that the AFS helmet badge may have been a London badge used for ceremonial reasons, he only ever had transfer stickers on his helmets.

Phil
HI Phil, Here is the back of the AFS "helmet" plate. I wonder if they had a band???

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 13-01-12, 02:42 PM

I will ask, and see if he knows of an AFS band.

The badge looks to be of a, forgive my wording, fairly crude construction, maybe it was made quite quickly for a particular presentation?

Phil
Old 13-01-12, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
HI Phil, Here is the back of the AFS "helmet" plate. I wonder if they had a band???
Gents,

The back plate is one which was commonly used by several police forces, the centre (usually held on with two bend over pins) featured the custom made title and Arms of the force. In the photo of the reverse of the back plate you can clearly see the two holes north and south which would have taken the pins. Probably not of particular help but I give the information for what its worth.

Dave.