British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-19, 12:26 PM

Default Forum Dealers/Sales

Opinion seems to be divided on the following, but the subject certainly raises blood pressure in some quarters…

I have read a couple of threads recently on the subject of dealers selling on the forum. It seems some members feel that there are certain member-dealers who contribute virtually nothing to the forum other than to use it as a platform from which to make money. Other posts in this vein express dissatisfaction at posts and albums set up solely for the purpose of promoting sales.

A few counterpoints to these views have been to the effect that:

1) some members find the listings of interest
2) the listings aid the broadening of understanding and therefore possibly add to the overall knowledge of the collecting fraternity
3) sales albums are potential reference guides
4) prior permission for these activities has been obtained from 'them upstairs' rendering the practice kosher

So do member-dealers provide the forum with more than they gain, or are they being parasitic and offering little/nothing in return? Do the rewards they reap outweigh what they claim to be offering, and is the forum a better or worse place for this kind of activity?

As we all know, one of the forum rules on sales states:

'Advertising and sales outside of the Classified Ads section or the designated Fairs, Sales, Auctions and Dealer Recommendations sub-forum, are not permitted. A ‘signature’ at the bottom of your post is permitted which can be a link to your business.'

Does failing to adhere strictly to this rule matter? If so, why, and if not, why have it?

Please note: I am aware this subject is potentially inflammatory, though I would like to stress it is not my intention to provoke any such reaction. For obvious reasons this issue only ever seems to be raised within sales threads, so I thought it might be beneficial for all concerned, to attempt to discuss it in its own, separate thread.

Regards,

JT

Tags
dealers, sales