British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-11-16, 01:38 PM

Default EviiR and GvR cyphers

I received these badges in a lot of RCR items but I don't believe they have an RCR connection based on the research I've conducted over the last year.

The EviiR badge, finished in gold gilt and with three lugs is, to me, either a cap or collar badge to the Royal Canadian Mounted Rifles. Although their badge was approved in Dec 1903 and permission was granted for The RCR, RCA and RCDs to adopt the same badge (presumably for shoulder straps) in Jan 1904, the finish and lug pattern is unlike anything I've seen in actual RCR badges.

As far as I can tell both GvR badges are to the Norfolk Yeomanry - the smaller one which was fitted with a broche pin still has evidence of a slider. I know these badges are often confused as RCR shoulder strap badges.

If anyone has theories or comments I'd love to have additional input.

Old 16-11-16, 12:11 AM

I think all three are British, the two crowned badges are both Military Provost Staff Corps and the large uncrowned GvR badge was worn by barrack wardens.
Old 16-11-16, 12:19 AM

Thanks Hoot. It seems various units wore the same badge. I'll provide dimensions when I get home tonight, I should have included them in the original post.
Old 18-11-16, 07:12 PM

Measurements slipped my mind!

Gilt EviirR cypher : 28mm wide x 38mm tall
Large GvR without crown : 34mm wide x 30mm tall
Small GvR with crown : 28mm wide x 38mm tall