British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-19, 01:12 PM

Default WW2 cap badge. Blurry

Hi. I'm trying to identify the cap badge that is seen in attached photo. Image quality is poor, but im hoping that someone with knowledge may have an idea as to which badge it is ?
Many thanks
Dom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_0005.jpg (46.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 29-09-19, 07:28 PM

Hello Dom,
Really hard to tell exactly from the picture but my first gut instinct guess is The Rifle Brigade, looks the correct shape and looks to have a darker circular badge backing which I believe the RB wore the'' Rifle Green'' one at this time but not sure which battalion, hopefully others will have an opinion further for you.

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 29-09-19 at 07:41 PM.
Old 29-09-19, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I thought Rifle Brigade as well.
Old 29-09-19, 07:45 PM

A 1948 dated beret which has not had a badge fitted.
I'm not sure if the khaki beret with circular green patch was worn post war by 1st Bn Royal Ulster Rifles but I think it was also worn by 2nd Bn Rifle Brigade (disbanded 1948, reformed 1952-56 for service with BAOR) I don't have it to hand at the moment to check the details I've labelled it with.

I can't locate my copy of "Embellishments" to check what it says about which battalions of the RB wore the green circular badge backing. RB is the only candidate I can think of, the badge shown in the image in post no.1 clearly not being that of the light infantry units that used the backing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190110_093227714~2.jpg (25.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190110_093430987~2.jpg (29.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 30-09-19 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Bn no., more text.
Old 30-09-19, 07:38 AM

According to “Embelishments” the 2” circular backing was worn “battalion unknown “ . The 2” square backing ( of which I’ve one) worn by members of a motorised batt, 1st batt maybe?

Gerard
Old 30-09-19, 08:49 AM

Bouchery's "The British Soldier" and "Cap Badges of The British Army 1939-45" by Alderton just say the green circular backing was worn by the Rifle Brigade without specifying battalions.
Old 30-09-19, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Bouchery's "The British Soldier" and "Cap Badges of The British Army 1939-45" by Alderton just say the green circular backing was worn by the Rifle Brigade without specifying battalions.
Ah ok one to check up on then Leigh, I’m sure I’ve seen some pictures with the square backing I’ll try to find them later.

Gerard
Old 30-09-19, 10:21 AM

I'm interpreting the references to the circular patches as being worn by one or some RB battalions rather than meaning worn by all.
Edit: Bouchery shows the circular backing simply as Rifle Brigade, Alderton just says backing worn in various shapes, although in one section of the book he's says RB wore red, square backing.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 30-09-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 30-09-19, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I'm interpreting the references to the circular patches as being worn by one or some RB battalions rather than meaning worn by all.
Edit: Bouchery shows the circular backing simply as Rifle Brigade, Alderton just says backing worn in various shapes, although in one section of the book he's says RB wore red, square backing.
RED now your starting to confuse me, which ain’t hard

Gerard