British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-17, 11:44 AM

Default Birmingham Pals Fake Badge?

Although I don’t usually comment on badges that are up for sale on ebay, there is one that has caught my eye here which concerns me. Firstly, it looks like this exact same badge has already been sold once on ebay, with the original listing being here. Secondly, it seems to me that it is a combination of an authentic Royal Warwicks antelope, to which has been added the “Royal Warwickshire” and “3rd Birmingham Battalion” scrolls of a recognised reproduction. To illustrate my point, below are examples of what I believe to be the two badges involved:

To me the ebay badge is clearly the antelope of the badge shown on the left in my photo, but where its original “Royal Warwickshire” scroll has been removed and replaced with those of the badge on the right, which I understand is a known reproduction; the lettering being the obvious give away in this respect. An ingenious adaptation when you think about it. I do not know if the seller is aware if this, as he simply lists his badge as a “Royal Warwickshire Regt, 3rd Birmingham Bn. Cap Badge”, and describes it as a “bi-metal badge in a good used condition”, which it obviously is. In my personally opinion, however, it is not a genuine Birmingham Pals cap badge from the Great War, though I would be happy to be corrected on this. I wonder what other Forum members might think?

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Tags
birmingham pals, fake, royal warwicks, royal warwickshire