British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-12, 09:15 AM

Default "I only Asked"

Although I've handled cap badges from pre WW2, and polished a few, I never heard the expression 'sweat holes' until I came across this Forum...so please enlighten me..a pic would be handy.
Old 10-05-12, 09:22 AM

I was exactly the same at the time I joined, but quickly worked out what it was and got me looking at the backs of my badges more.
I can't put on any pictures at the minute, but if you look at the rears of some of your older bimetal badges, you should find holes in various shapes and sizes behind where one of the metals is laid over the other. Something to do with the joining process apparently!
Hope this helps a bit, but no doubt it will be expanded on considerably!

John
Old 10-05-12, 09:29 AM

Ah...I think I'm with you...to prevent 'blow backs' in manufacture? like common or garden soldering. thanks.
Old 10-05-12, 10:12 AM

'Sweat holes' used as part of the manufacturing process to allow the escape of excess flux and gasses when the two different metals were joined. Their use was overtaken by advances in manufacturing methods, not sure about when. Badge shown is Victoria crown Suffolk Regt, white metal with brass scroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1074.jpg (92.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-05-12, 11:13 AM

Thank you, it was the expression I did not under stand.....I was going down the wrong road...I thought perhaps it was somthing to do with wearing a black beret in Egypt!...having learnt the hard way in my younger days about escaping air, hot metal and soldering irons it is 'alles klar'!