British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-19, 08:52 AM

Adding to the above, weight and dimensions may also be interesting to compare:

The one above is 14.9 grams, 42mm at its widest (scroll end to scroll end) 47mm at its tallest (top of crown to bottom of the scroll.

Cheers, Tim
Old 29-08-19, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
And yet Orasot's 1916 Economy badge appears to be from the same die as mine.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=125267
The eco badge is from a different die. Note the shape of the 3 and a single dash as opposed to the dot in the OP.

There are undoubtedly genuine versions of both 1900-2 and 1900-02 badge.

I believe the badge in the OP is OK and likely WW1 manufacture. You do get some absolute thugly WW1 badges which are appalling quality but nonetheless genuine. Also plenty of genuine badges with die flaws. The construction of the badge with braze holes is what I’d expect. The fakes I’ve seen do not have braze holes

The first badge pictured is from the same die as yours and to my eyes it looks fine and has some nice age/patina to it which I would not doubt.

There are several fakes of this badge and also cast copies. The fakes I’ve seen don’t have braze holes (or just impressions of them in cases of cast fakes). I have seen genuine 23rd without braze holes.

I’ve attached a couple of pics of fakes. Note the typical poor seeding and comedy letting on the first fake and the next I believe is a cast copy with impressions of braze holes just evident at 4 and 8 o’clock.

If it were my badge I wouldn’t be disposing of it but equally it’s not one I’d choose for a display piece or pay much for.
Old 30-08-19, 06:02 PM

Thanks Luke,

I appreciate your input. Ugly, yet interesting.... story of my life

cheers, Tim