British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-16, 03:07 PM

Default Dating Gun Badge

I'd appreciate some help here please. I've looked through the forums artillery albums and have found an example of this badge but no information provided. I'd like to know a rough date if possible. It has the extruded type shank and came with an officer's s&g Pembs Yeo later pattern badge with the gilded lower scroll. I suspect they all belonged to the same man.
Thanks in anticipation,
Hwyl,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 21-07-16, 03:33 PM

Bloody iPad only loading one photo at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 21-07-16, 04:58 PM

It is a pattern worn throughout both world wars.
No way to accurately date it.

regar4ds

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 21-07-16, 07:26 PM

And here's a son of the Royal Artillery; The Sultan of Oman's Artillery. In this case one of 20 hallmarked silver cap badges made for the officers and WOs of 8 Med Bty SOA in 1980.
Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOA.jpg (45.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-09-16, 02:22 PM

Here's a selection of Royal Malta Artillery/ Armed Forces of Malta badges, based on the 1937 pattern.
At top: O/Rs KC, bi, cap badge
2nd Row: (1) O/Rs QC, a/a, cap; (2) O/Rs QC, bi, beret
3rd Row: (1) O/Rs a/a, beret; (2) O/Rs a/a, cap, slider araldited; (3) O/Rs bi, beret
Bottom: Off OSD,bz, cap, slider marked 'FIRMIN.LONDON'.

It is to be noted that when the Island became a Republic, all Royal Crowns were removed from insignia. As the sliders were attached to the crowns, there was widespread damage of badges when these were roughly removed. Subsequently, makeshift sliders were araldited in place until new badges were manufactured and supplied.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMA.jpg (40.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-09-16, 03:08 PM

Two KC O/Rs beret badges with slider and two lower loops. Both, incidentally, have 'J.R.GAUNT.LONDON' 12.5mm backmarks. One appears unissued while the other has definitely seen much service. What would the concensus on this be? Afraid that Scans of backs are out of focus.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAberetbadges_0001.jpg (25.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-09-16, 04:10 PM

Both are fine, interesting is the OSD badge with a slider, is it die cast or die stamped? Is the slider a later fitting?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 07-09-16, 05:38 PM

Thanks for your post.
I think you are referring to the AFM OSD bz cap badge, no? If so, it is a very solid, die-cast strike with Integral slider. Hope this helps.
GTB
Old 07-09-16, 05:48 PM

Yes I was, so this is one of those rare exceptions to the rule that officers badges aren't slidered.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 07-09-16, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yes I was, so this is one of those rare exceptions to the rule that officers badges aren't slidered.

Rgds, Thomas.
Definitely.

GTB
Old 08-09-16, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
Malta....
KC standard BM badge & KC aluminium(or similar)painted ,WW2 shortness of supply variety(?) . Would appreciate good info for this one !
Re the KC aluminium 'painted' badge. I take it that you are referring to 'anodised aluminium' here?
I have no information concerning a KC a/a issue, although everything is possible, but definitely not WW2 period! Furthermore, the badge looks like it has a separate crown attached. I know a lot of time has passed since originally posting but can you provide a pic of the back of badge?

GTB
Old 10-09-16, 02:14 PM

Default Speculating on a Gun badge

There is evidently a story behind this Gun badge.
It is a gm, die-struck cap badge with brass slider and at some time has been blackened, if not initially produced in that finish. However, as can be seen, a very large proportion of the blacking has been removed from the face, especially all high points.
A look at the Crown shows what appears to be a solid crown with blackened cushions; however the back tells another story. The crown is voided and two small shaped segments of blackened metal (brass?) have been individually sweated over each void of the Crown. This operation appears to be contemporaneous with the manufacture of the badge, and the blackening process has totally blended in.
I have two theories:
1. That the badge was intended to be produced with a solid Crown (as I believe do exist, especially with Edward VII badges if not mistaken) and the above repair was effected to rectify the error.
2. That the badge was correctly manufactured with voided Crown but the wearer decided to imitate the crimson cushions but with a difference - black cushions. Perhaps to mourn the death of a King (ERVII, GRV, GRVI)??

Would anyone know of similar specimens or could this be a one-off?

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAgunbadge.jpg (43.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-09-16, 02:28 PM

GTB,

Its a very interesting badge in that it has the crown voids covered from the rear. Is it possible to show a photo of that?

As for your suggestion, "1. That the badge was intended to be produced with a solid Crown (as I believe do exist, especially with Edward VII badges if not mistaken) and the above repair was effected to rectify the error."

I have checked through my collection of similar badges and the only British gun badges with non-voided crowns are some of the 1916 economy issues.

I have seen no evidence of 1901-1910 badges having non-voided crowns and do not believe that to be true. I would be interested where that information came from if you have a reference please.

As for the blackenening I can offer no factual explanation. It shouldnt have happened in the field, but having said that I have a blackened fleur de lys Manchester Regt badge, which shouldnt exist either, so never say never. My theory was it was blackened for use in the jungles of Burma.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-09-16, 02:44 PM

Simon,
Will try and get my son to take a pic of rear of badge, during the rare times we are both at home together.
I think I may have been misinterpreted re solid crowns on Gun Badges. I really meant on any badge and not restricted to RA. Apologies for not being clear enough.

GTB
Old 10-09-16, 03:33 PM

In the meantime, here's a scan of a solid KC on a Yeomanry badge. I must point out, though, that the style of crown varies from the usual depiction. The ribbing holding the pearls is straighter. Badge obviously a variation, but that's another matter

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essex Yeo.jpg (94.5 KB, 13 views)

Tags
india, malta, nova scotia, rcha, rha, royal artillery, south africa