British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-20, 10:20 AM

Hi Leigh

Many, many thanks! I was given his trio (now in safe keeping) and Princess Mary tin, which Aunt Rosemary had claimed back from the Artist's museum.

In the tin is a letter that she wrote to me at the time, telling me how the museum had been a little reluctant to return the group...

I know that it is very hit and miss but are there any soldier's papers likely to be around? Also, is there a mention of an SWB issue (there wasn't one with the grouping but I wondered if he had qualified for one, being struck on the head)?

Cheers
Old 19-10-20, 10:55 AM

From the Artists Rifles Roll of Honour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARtists 005.jpg (92.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ARtists 007.jpg (40.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ARtists 002.jpg (38.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ARtists 003.jpg (65.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ARtists 001.jpg (70.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 19-10-20, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
I do however wonder what "misuse of an apostrophe" means.
My guess would be that there was confusion about the placement of the apostrophe , some wrongly using it between the T & S (ARTIST'S) rather than the grammatically proper place after the S (ARTISTS').

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 19-10-20, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
My guess would be that there was confusion about the placement of the apostrophe , some wrongly using it between the T & S (ARTIST'S) rather than the grammatically proper place after the S (ARTISTS').

Yes, and then there was the regiment itself, which often omitted it at all (see all the badges and also other images above).

I have the feeling that the mentioning of "misuse" is also a sneer to the regiment. Something like: you made a mess of this all the time and could not make up your mind, now we have decided for you and live with it

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 20-10-20, 10:14 AM

Hi

Thanks to everyone who's helped out here. I never knew Winisford ( I thought that it was "Winsford") but his widow was a delightful old lady who visited us a few times.

Many thanks again.
Old 21-10-20, 05:08 PM

Greetings.

I don’t believe that an apostrophe is needed, it is grammatically incorrect.

An apostrophe denotes either a missing letter, as in wouldn’t, or to indicate that an item belongs to something, someone or a number of things or people.

Both Artists and Rifles are plurals.

If the Rifles belonged to a single Artist, there would be an apostrophe between t and s, if the rifles belonged to more than one Artist, the apostrophe would be after the last s.

Neither the badge nor title of the unit indicate that the Rifles belong to anybody in particular.

The title denotes that it is a Rifles unit comprised of Artists; much the same as Finsbury Rifles shows that it is a Rifles unit comprised of men from (initially) the Finsbury area.

Whereas Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, (with an apostrophe between t and s) shows that the Regiment belongs to him.

Therefore, an apostrophe is not required.

Regards.

Brian
Old 21-10-20, 05:22 PM

You most probably are right looking at it from the language/spelling side.
But my question is, how the official designation was. And that may have had an incorrect usage of the apostrophe.

Old 21-10-20, 06:03 PM

henk,

I am unsure of you question, however:

Artists Rifles should be the title as there is no possession (i.e. it is the nominative case (subject) not the genitive case (belonging to).

Artist's Rifles would be the rifles belonging to the artist (singular).

Artists' Rifles would be the rifles belonging to the artists (plural).

A misplaced apostrophe is also known as an abberant apostrophe - one used where there shouldn't be one.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your question.

Chris
Old 21-10-20, 06:25 PM

Well, the case is that some of the sources I used have an apostrophe. As I mentioned in post #6 above. Specially Regiments.org (link above), but others are shown in several of the posts above. Web sites are inconsistent.

It could be that that all that use an apostrophe are wrong and thus I am wrong. But why then the official statement mentioned in post #9 as quoted by @mike_vee from Forces War Records?
There must have been something in the past.

And because of this confusion, I try to find out what the official designation was in the different periods.

So this not about how a teacher of the English language will explain what it should be, it is about how it is written down in the official lists.

Old 21-10-20, 06:34 PM

By the way, I appreciate all the effort put by all of you in trying to answer my rather pedantic question.

Some of you may know my charts of which one is about the Artists Rifles: Artists Rifles, on which I try to improve. So that is the reason of my asking when I found in one of the first posts of this thread a "fan of the Artist Rifles". So I asked a quick question (that is what I thought) to make this clear once and for all.

Old 04-11-20, 08:28 PM

Default Apostrophes

Henk,

Like you I cannot find the correct answer to the question of the Artists with or without apostrophe. I agree that it can be haphazard.

I thought I had never seen the apostrophe used with the Artists Rifles, however, as shown above, it is used in the written form.

Having looked at your chart I think along similar lines to you. I wanted to take a closer look but am still nowhere near the answer. I have not been able to that much research as the Prince Consort’s Library is not accessible during lockdown.

Although, I cannot give a definitive answer I can provide an educated guess. I have seen reference to the rise of the Rifle Volunteer Corps in the 1860s, amongst which were the 38th Middlesex (Artists') Rifle Volunteer Corps (raised 1860 renamed 20th Middlesex (Artists') Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1880) as in your chart. (I am not being pedantic but ‘thinking aloud) In these cases the apostrophe is grammatically correct. Due to the recruiting cohort, it is unlikely that there would be an aberrant / grocer’s apostrophe in the title. I would have thought that mistakes occurred when others wrote the title. One book I managed to get hold of ‘A History of the Artists Rifles 1859-1947, the Middlesex VRC title does not contain the apostrophe but the author does use it for the “Artists’ Companies”, “Artists’ Corps” and “Artists’ School of Arms”.

As posted by Mike Vee (https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...ts)%20(Reserve.)

The Artists Rifles (originally Artists' Rifles until the apostrophe was officially dropped from the full title in 1937 as it was so often misused) ...

From the Victorian Web the author uses the “The 38th Middlesex (Artists’) Rifle Volunteers.” Then goes on to say “The government had purchased Burlington House…in 1854, and the Artists Rifles was granted space in it until 1868, when the Royal Academy established itself there.” (http://www.victorianweb.org/history/...stsrifles.html).

I am not sure I agree with the author of the Forces War Record. I would conclude that the original full Middlesex VRC correctly contains the apostrophe but using the title Artists Rifles in common parlance no apostrophe would be required. However, if that was the official title on its formation, I still find it odd that it does not appear on their insignia or on their Headquarters building – see thumbnails (which have previously been alluded to).

On a final note, the information on the internet from many sources is worded almost identically (copy and paste) – tracing the prime source of this information would be difficult. Examples:

https://thehammocknovel.wordpress.co...rifles-london/

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...ts)%20(Reserve).

(http://www.victorianweb.org/history/...stsrifles.html).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_Rifles

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38th.jpg (24.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20th a.jpg (60.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20th b.jpg (57.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by CAM; 05-11-20 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-20, 08:41 PM

Chris,

That is an absolutely cracking piece of investigation. In my opinion it shows what we know about it and as a consequence we are sure there are still riddles there.

The main riddle being probably that until 1937 it would officially be Artists' (let us forget for a moment all those that omitted the ' either because the worked on what the heard saying, simply ignorance) and the badges that all have no '.

I am afraid that we have to live with the anomalies here. As long as there is no other evidence, I will use the ' until 1937 and skip it afterwards in my charts. Notwithstanding the fact that the badges use for illustration there show otherwise.

Again, I appreciate very much the effort you have put in this.