British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-20, 07:51 AM

He was 315019 Private 16th Royal Sussex Regiment and received that badge because of wounds as shown in WO329, forth man down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi Frank

Was wondering if you could do me a favour and look up this SWB? It came with a Comrades of the Great War badge.

B 92731

It is for a G.L. Norman but there are THREE possibilities from a very quick search of National Archives.

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wo329_3045-00335.jpg (74.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 15-09-20, 10:46 AM

Hello Frank

Many thanks for that. Now I know which one of the three he was! I'd been hoping he was the Grenadier Guards guy....

Again, a big "thanks" for that.
Old 16-09-20, 06:04 AM

You are welcome, they are quite interesting, although, speaking as a medal collector, it is always a shame to see the badge on it's own.

Quote:
Hello Frank

Many thanks for that. Now I know which one of the three he was! I'd been hoping he was the Grenadier Guards guy....

Again, a big "thanks" for that.
Old 16-09-20, 10:33 AM

Hi Frank

Agreed. I bought one off a local online site some months ago and realised that the seller had the same name as the owner of the SWB. I may or may not have asked what the connection was but it was clearly grandfather. The badge was:

177027 which should give you Frank Caryl BARBER

If you can provide the SWB roll entry as you did before I would be ever so grateful.

Another SWB "find" was one that must surely rate as a very early issue ("127"). The name escapes me now, but I remember the man had certainly seen some service.

His badge was lingering on eBay largely because someone had turned a round badge into an oval and otherwise mangled it.

A good bottle of wine to a handy friend had in back in shape and looking like new. Well, not like new because it was old.....
Old 22-09-20, 06:33 AM

Yes, 127 is particularly nice, 5th Dragoon Guards wounded and subsequently discharged in 1915.

Quote:
Hi Frank

Agreed. I bought one off a local online site some months ago and realised that the seller had the same name as the owner of the SWB. I may or may not have asked what the connection was but it was clearly grandfather. The badge was:

177027 which should give you Frank Caryl BARBER

If you can provide the SWB roll entry as you did before I would be ever so grateful.

Another SWB "find" was one that must surely rate as a very early issue ("127"). The name escapes me now, but I remember the man had certainly seen some service.

His badge was lingering on eBay largely because someone had turned a round badge into an oval and otherwise mangled it.

A good bottle of wine to a handy friend had in back in shape and looking like new. Well, not like new because it was old.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wo329_636897_0822-00007.jpg (80.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg wo329_3116-00054.jpg (56.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 29-09-20, 07:15 AM

Hi Frank

Thank you SO much for that! I would have replied earlier to thank you but I got a little lost in all the other posts!

Much, much appreciated! If you like, I'll photograph the badge and post it. Shame I didn't do a "before and after"!
Old 30-09-20, 02:20 AM

Default SWBs how low can you go?

Hi Frank

Many thanks for your efforts. Here is SWB 127, for your interest.

As I said before, it was very much sorrier than this when acquired (bent, out of round and with no pin and no hook) but I like to think it was worth the effort of saving.

Anyone got a lower number?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swb_127.jpg (46.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg swb_127A.jpg (36.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-10-20, 07:46 AM

Very nice, although, together with his 1914 Star trio, it would form a particularly pleasing group.

Quote:
Hi Frank

Many thanks for your efforts. Here is SWB 127, for your interest.

As I said before, it was very much sorrier than this when acquired (bent, out of round and with no pin and no hook) but I like to think it was worth the effort of saving.

Anyone got a lower number?

Cheers