British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-20, 10:31 AM
MarkGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
There are many threads on this forum by members asking for explanations of abbreviations.
I think it is demeaning to put 'insider only' messages on this forum, not to complain about it.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/ar...erminology.htm
I think in this post you proved my point, your post was used to score points, i think we know who the bully is here. Shame on you - Regards Mark
Old 14-08-20, 10:36 AM
Administrator

The bulk of the original HPCs you encounter will be manufactured pre WW1 and be of top quality- sharp clear detail with equally sharp reverse dies.

Expect originals to have four wide rectangular form loops with a rounded top in copper or brass wire. There are exceptions as some ( non-regular in particular) units wore HPCs modified for the glengarry with normal loops and a Victorian crown above often brazed on to the HPC. If your intention is to collect line infantry HPCs then you should stick to the four loop types.

Many of the copies on ebay are cast from originals – they even have the stumps of the original badge’s loops in the casting in many cases, and are fit with a pair of normal loops.

Get you eye in - here's an original. Look at the quality, the colour of the brazing, the form of the loops.

Now take a look at the first four of these: copies.

You are looking for badges like this:

Old 14-08-20, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGD View Post
I think in this post you proved my point, your post was used to score points, i think we know who the bully is here. Shame on you - Regards Mark
I won't comment on the allegations of "bullying" other than to say that those who frequent this forum don't all collect militaria. However, if the forum is to really be of use to members its important to remember that the "search" ability is often rendered less than effective if the subject matter in the heading is not set out in full. By all means then abbreviate it in the body of the message, but it is really helpful to put it in full in the heading. If that is done it helps everyone, militaria collectors and others. I often look at the "headings" and then the body of the message and scratch my head at what on earth the writer is on about. He obviously knows, but does everyone else?

Dave.
Old 14-08-20, 10:45 AM

Default HPC's

Hi Mike,

many thanks for your most informative reply, very helpful..

Mark
Old 14-08-20, 10:47 AM

Default HPC's

Dave, I take your point and thank you for putting it nicely..

Mark
Old 14-08-20, 11:30 AM

MarkGD, I have added you to my Ignore List.
Closed Thread