British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-08, 05:56 AM

Talking Crown of the Future Monarch and the impact on badges.

Hi everyone,

I guess this could go in either the British, Australian or Canadian areas as it is applicable to all three sub groups.

As you all know, the Queen of England, Elizabeth II is in her 80s and may not be upon on the throne for too much longer (well she may rule to age 100 - who knows) but it got me thinking about what would happen to British, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian badges in terms of the design in the event of her successor adopting a different crown?

In years gone by, badges have changed and adopted the crown design of the new monarch. Is this a trend that is likely to continue? Say for example, a new monarch adopted the old King's Crown (forget its proper name) as worn by King George V and VI - would this result in badge designs being changed to reflect the new crown? I take it such an exercise would be quite costly in terms of replacing hat badges, collar badges etc. Or do you think governments would leave the badges the same to avoid the expense?

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Mick

Last edited by slick_mick; 27-08-08 at 06:42 AM.
Old 27-08-08, 06:59 AM

Of course some badges with cyphers on them will need to be redesigned irrespective of the crown that our next monarch ( whoever that might be ) adopts, but I dont think that in the past all badges have suddenly been replaced on a change of monarch.

I believe the change is a more gradual one, existing stocks of badges being used up and many soldiers continuing to wear badges that technicaly are obsolete.

Was it not the famous John Gaylor who said he was still wearing a kings crown cap badge in 1966.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-08-08, 07:09 AM

I heard from a mate of mine (in Defence) that Australian badges will most likely remain the same. Though many of them currently don't have a crown so there won't be any impact.

Mick
Old 27-08-08, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
I heard from a mate of mine (in Defence) that Australian badges will most likely remain the same. Though many of them currently don't have a crown so there won't be any impact.

Mick
But what if Australia was to become a republic?
Old 27-08-08, 09:22 AM

There is no good reason why the pattern of crown should change. The terms Kings Crown and Queens Crown are a collectors shorthard.

The crown used before QEII came to the throne was the Imperial Crown which disappeared with the Emperor of India title. Since the Price of Wales will not be Emperor there's no reason to change crown.

In any case there wouldn't be a sudden change. As 8thFoot says old badges can have a very long life. I was commissioned in 1968 and always wore my father's KC badges and buttons. In fact when I got my jacket I wore QVC ball buttons on my mess-kit. The only exception would have been the woven wire beret badge which did not exist in his day.

Eddie

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 27-08-08 at 09:28 AM.