British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-08, 02:16 PM

Hear, hear Adam

I think your attitude and comments are "spot on". It is easy to recognise peoples motives on boards such as this over time and fortunately most individuals on here appear to be sincerely interested in learning and educating.
Old 19-08-08, 02:47 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
my time is too valuable to spend it helping somebody else increase their profit margins, when they give nothing back to the forum in the way of information, help or participation.
Put that on the Great War forum.
Old 19-08-08, 06:47 PM

Default Help . . !

I suppose over the last forty or so years I have helped quite a few people with queries, never asking for reward and generally not getting any. My "buzz" is to promote the aspect of collecting militaria, we are all museum curators at heart and long may it continue, as does this forum.

The two incidents that I mentioned earlier have never really bothered me as there are lots of others that have been positive. I have found out on this forum that I am not the only person to appreciate the brewers art!
Old 19-08-08, 07:31 PM
Banned

one thing is for certain you must develop a thick hide as some appreciate you and you seem to develop a few enemies along the way also in this electonic jungle but that is the price one must pay when you are willing to go out on the limb some times to keep the hobby clean. I think most every one sits back from time to time and says I won't touch that one for love nor money
Old 19-08-08, 09:31 PM

I do spend quite a bit of time researching eg War Office records, etc, etc, largely for my own interest - KLR badges. I ocasionally spot other things of interest and am happy to pass on the information. Everything I've looked up will one day be in a book (a detailed account of KLR badges with back ground info on when, why etc) available to all. !
I'm happy to look up this and that within reason (don't expect answers the next day) - part time research is a lengthy business (especially when my day job is virtually full time historical research !!)
Julian
Old 19-08-08, 09:51 PM
David Douglas

Default Ethics

This is very clearly a generous Forum, giving advice (occasionally correct) to all who ask for it. In my last 15 years of paid employment I lectured at a British University and, very quickly, passed on advice I was given in my student days - THAT WHICH YE SEEK AND FIND FOR THYSELF, SO SHALL YE LONGER RETAIN. I think that means that more folk should get off their backsides and do the leg-work themselves. Perhaps it is just easier to ask someone else - which brings us back to this Forum !! Willing horses - and the like ! Regards. David
Old 20-08-08, 06:45 AM

Don't get me wrong David, there ARE people on this forum who appear not to be capable of finding out any BASIC facts let alone getting off their b***sides and doing any REAL research. They ask lots of questions here and I for one, don't bother with them, you never get any thanks anyay !

Last edited by KLR; 20-08-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typographical errors
Old 20-08-08, 08:09 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
This is very clearly a generous Forum, giving advice (occasionally correct) to all who ask for it. In my last 15 years of paid employment I lectured at a British University and, very quickly, passed on advice I was given in my student days - THAT WHICH YE SEEK AND FIND FOR THYSELF, SO SHALL YE LONGER RETAIN. I think that means that more folk should get off their backsides and do the leg-work themselves. Perhaps it is just easier to ask someone else - which brings us back to this Forum !! Willing horses - and the like ! Regards. David
Hello David,
I have passed several remarks about some people needing help, I was actually being more specific, I was using myself as an example. I have to wonder how far off my backside I would have to get and how much leg work I would need to do, if I wanted to ask someone their opinion on a particular badge. It seems to me that the majority of the members have been collecting for donkey's years, have had the opportunity to visit lots of military fairs and have probably handled more genuine badges than I've had hot dinners. None of that helps an individual new to collecting, I have had the chance to visit just two ' gun fairs ' where militaria was being sold, I hadn't a clue of what I should look for but played safe and bought a couple of bronze badges, after speaking to Malcolm, I found that I had, again, bought rubbish. Working on the premiss already put forward by several members, I should find out for myself if a badge is genuine or not and stop using other people to do my dirty work, perhaps you are all correct, I have to admit to being slightly disappointed.
Regards, Dave.
Old 20-08-08, 08:38 AM
David Douglas

Default Ethics

Dave - Please don't mis-interpret what I have said. I have never denied anyone my knowledge and expertise but what I have to say is only an opinion and never a definitive view on a particular subject. Equally, I have asked questions myself proving, I think, that it often seems easier to ask someone else rather than get off my own backside. I think that some people do that on a permanent basis and don't go that extra mile to undertake their own research. I am just waiting for someone to tell me the meaning of life ! Regards and let's all keep smiling. David