British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-08, 03:21 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Removing Bacgrounds from Badge Pictures

I cannot recall where I saw a comment about the difficulties of removing backgrounds from badge pictures, but here are a few tips on how I managed to remove the blue - and other colours - from these AAC badges.
If you know all this, then ignore it; if you don't own any graphics manipulation software (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc - then you might "just" find it interesting).
They were all taken against a blue backgound, however, this is irrelevant as long as the background contrasts with the badge - the first shows the before and after pictures using PSP8 (chosen 'cos its "shiny"), the other 3 are a plastic one, a WM one and a brooch. Black is very good - duh, unless of course its a blackened badge. Thick white, non-reflective card is very good - even with silver, shiny (AA) badges.

Step 1 - PSP8 Settings(metric): size140; Hardness100%;Step17; Density100%; Thickness100%; Rotation0; Opacity0; sampling:cont; limits:contiguous; autotoleranceY; ignorelightnessY
TIP1: you SHOULD use a contrasting background.
However BOTH AAC badges only took around 6 mins - see the results - which included some tidying up on the edges.
TIP2:Keep the centre of the tool tip as close as possible to the edge of the badge.
TIP3:do about 5mm at a time - if you screw up, undoing 5mm is better than undoing everything - i.e. release the left mouse button fairly regularly.
Fine tuning the various controls would probably improve this.

Badge 1 - a "before" version of badge 2; Badges 3, 4 & 5 are "after" pictures. Note that I did not have to do ANY retouching - after using the background erase tool - to the WM voided crown parts.

If you have a graphics tablet - even better.
I managed to do a large intricate CBP in about 1 minute.
Good hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC_KC_HMS_b4.jpg (96.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg AAC_KC_HMS.jpg (97.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AAC_KC_WM.jpg (96.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg AAC_KC_plastic.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg AAC_KC_SW_StgSilv.jpg (84.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by wright241; 18-08-08 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 18-08-08, 04:01 PM

So much for modern technology, I remember Ray Westlake tellling me that he used to remove the backgrounds of pictures of badges to be used as illustrations in his books with snowpake ( white correction fluid )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-08-08, 03:04 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
So much for modern technology, I remember Ray Westlake tellling me that he used to remove the backgrounds of pictures of badges to be used as illustrations in his books with snowpake ( white correction fluid )

P.B.

PB,
Well I am old enough to still use that as well..... a bottle I have is about 25 years old and still doing sterling stuff. But sometimes, just sometimes, you just have to move with the times....
david