British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-11, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default What is this?

I'm pretty sure its Canadian, and assume its wartime, something akin the University Air Training Corps Squadrons we had, and still have here.

Can anyone confirm what it is, date, etc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT9885.jpg (71.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 22-06-11, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi SAS1, I think the shoulder title is a RAF patch. Some history here http://www.rafweb.org/UAS_1.htm.
Old 22-06-11, 10:47 PM
Banned

Hi Bill, thanks for that.

I am pretty certain its not British. I am familiar with the wartime University Air Training Corps Squadron badges, and also the later (and modern) UAS badges, which bear the name of the respective University.

This one seems to be typical Canadian manufacture.
Old 13-10-11, 06:01 AM

I SUSPECT that University Air Squadrons were probably similarto the Army's "COTC" (Canadian Officer Training Corps) - students attending University at the expense of the Cdn Government (who no doubt, had to commit to several years of service afterwards - probably 7 years). They would, however, after graduating be RCAF Officers. (The reason for full caps in the word "suspect" is to emphasize that I am not 100% certain of this.
Old 13-10-11, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

To add to my earlier reply, there is no mention of University Air Squadrons in Warren Carroll's Eagles Recalled, in Chris Brooker's The Canadian Officers Training Corps, and most succinctly, there are no records of such an organization in the Library and Archives Canada holdings. If such an organization existed in the Canadian forces, there would be an "information trail". Conversely, there is quite an information trail for the British "University Air Squadrons" that can be found on-line.
Chris does mention a unit called the University Air Training Corps, which had an abbreviated title, U.A.T.C. pale blue on dark blue.
Old 13-10-11, 03:36 PM
Banned

Thanks for that Bill.

The University Air Training Corps wore oval patches, which since the early 1950s have been tombstone shape. They have the full title plus the name of the University and continue to be worn to this day. The 'U.A.T.C.' title was never worn by British units at any time.

In Maurice Winton's very good book 'The Royal Canadian Air Force - A Pictorial History' both the 'UATC' title is shown, plus the full 'University Air Training Corps' title, which he (obviously) notes as Canadian badges with an additional note 'believed to have been worn in Regina and Saskatoon.' The badge shown at the top of this thread is also of Canadian/North American manufacture rather than British, Australian or New Zealand.
Old 13-10-11, 03:45 PM
Banned

Bill, further to my posts, and contrary to what you say, see this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Page 813, 6th item down under 'C'. 'Canadian University Air Training Corps'. Trouble is, this is the only mention I can find.
Old 13-10-11, 03:55 PM
Banned

Bill another quick search has found this, see Page 66, paragraphd two from the bottom. So now I know...

http://www.usask.ca/archives/history...s2006_COTC.pdf
Old 13-10-11, 04:19 PM
Banned

Bill

From the University of saskatchewan history:

Carmen E. Miller was born in Milliken, Ontario. He received his B.A. (1930), M.A. (1931), Ph.D. (1940) degrees from Toronto. He attended Göttingen University, Germany in 1931/32 on a Gertrude Davis Exchange Scholarship. In 1934-35 he went to the Ontario College of Education. Miller was a high school teacher and teaching fellow at the University of Toronto, followed by the University of New Brunswick (1941-46). At New Brunswick, he became professor and head, and commanded the university Air Squadron (1942-44).

Carmen joined the U of S mathematics department in 1947. He became head in 1964 and stayed on until 1973. Miller was honorary president of the Saskatchewan Mathematics Teachers Society, secretary-treasurer of the faculty club (1958-60) and president (1962-63). He was president of Saskatoon Branches of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs, and the Humanities Association of Canada (1956-57).
Old 13-10-11, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks sas1. This is what the Forum is about, finding the information about the badges. Question, what is the first reference from? The google document doesn't indicate what it is an index for?
As inidcated earlier there is no record in the LAC archives, which may be due in part to the fact that the unit was not "part of the armed forces".
Old 13-10-11, 05:41 PM
Banned

Apologies Bill

That index was under a Google heading 'Index to Precedent decisions, Vols 1 - 5 inclusive (A - E)'. Unfortunately the document itself is not on line.

I'd imagine the three titles shown/mentioned would have been worn during the war and onwards until the various units disbanded. Certainly there seems to be New Brunswick and Saskatchewan Universities involved. I'll contact the archives of the former to see if they have anything else.
Old 13-10-11, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Clarification re the Index to Precedent Decisions, is this a British document, or a Canadian document?
It may be worth pursuing the BCATP connection as well. There may be something there.
Old 13-10-11, 08:06 PM
Banned

Im certain its Canadian Bill, and I'd guess something like questons debated by Government between a certain period or a certain year.