British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-08-11, 09:01 PM

Default Just how cool is my latest badge?

Hi guys,

Just got this badge as an early birthday. Just how COOL is this?

see link later on

Only thing more exciting will be when my new Transport Command and Ferry Command badges arrive!!!

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 28-08-11 at 02:02 AM.
Old 22-08-11, 09:53 PM

Nice one Phil. Do you have any history of the badge??

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-08-11, 10:06 PM

Thanks,

He also has a nice Hong Kong Depot Police badge, but its well outside of my means at 75 notes. If you are interested in it, let me know and I will PM you a link.

I haven't looked into it yet fully. I know who Vickers are though. There is a good wikipedia article on them. All I know is that the dealer had already sold his Gibraltar geen enamel badge and I wasn't going to lose out on this one because of hesitation. I also got his Gibraltar Security Police badge. I asked the dealer if he was aware of the forum, hes going to take a look.

His description read as follows:

''VICKERS SHIPBUILDING & ENGINEERING LIMITED SECURITY DEPARTMENT, heavy chrome cap badge, 54mm high with two lug fittings. VSEL built submarines at Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, from 1986 until the late 1990s, hence the superb depiction of a nuclear sub on this badge.''

Regards

Phil
Old 22-08-11, 10:11 PM

That's a pretty cool badge there Phil, short history and unique.

Simon,
Old 22-08-11, 10:13 PM

Cheers Simon, it has brightened up my day no end. You have some nice new additions too, I was gandering at your albums earlier.

Phil
Old 22-08-11, 10:17 PM

Thanks Phil. Temporary pics until I get my hands on them. I should have that bulk parcel from the UK with all the one's I shipped to my parents. Saved a bundle on the inflated shipping now on Ebay Uk to the US.

Simon.
Old 22-08-11, 10:50 PM

it would drive me up the wall to wait so long! result on postage costs though. i have copied your example and posted temporary pictures of the command badges. they are still on route from canada. im worried they are going to go missing in the post.

I cant find another of these vickers badges anywhere, so far. is it an idea to contact what is now bae for info, do you think? i cant do too much on my phone, it gives me a headache.

phil
Old 24-08-11, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
it would drive me up the wall to wait so long! result on postage costs though. i have copied your example and posted temporary pictures of the command badges. they are still on route from canada. im worried they are going to go missing in the post.

I cant find another of these vickers badges anywhere, so far. is it an idea to contact what is now bae for info, do you think? i cant do too much on my phone, it gives me a headache.

phil
might be worth a try but BAE are not very user friendly and generally ignor anyone who they cant make money out of!

At present security at BAE barrow (and all other BAE sites) is provided by Securitas Security Services, previous to June this year security was provided by Reliance Security Services until the manned guarding part of the company was bought by Securitas! BAE Barrow also had their own fire service which was scrapped 3 years ago and then re invented this year by training Securitas security officers as first response fire fighters!, though whether the old BAE Barrow / VSEL fire service had its own cap badge I dont know?

Regards Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 24-08-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 24-08-11, 10:37 PM

Sorry Tony, I just noticeed your reply at the bottom of the page.

I will not worry about contacting BAE then. In theory to complete that set, would i have to get a reliance security, and a securitas cap badge? or are they a bit TOO civvy. Difficult to know where to draw a line.

Cheers

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 12:29 PM

Heres the new picture in my album.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=48848

Even better in the flesh.

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry Tony, I just noticeed your reply at the bottom of the page.

I will not worry about contacting BAE then. In theory to complete that set, would i have to get a reliance security, and a securitas cap badge? or are they a bit TOO civvy. Difficult to know where to draw a line.

Cheers

Phil
HI Phil, For my sins I work for RELIANCE on their Sussex police contract where we assist in the 24/7 running of 6 custody centre's within Sussex. I could try to find out if Reliance Security ever wore a cap badge and see if I could get you one(if they exist) Don't hold your breath though

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 25-08-11, 01:23 PM

That would be great, thanks very much Jerry.

I have googled to search for Securitas, Reliance and VSEL cap badges, but I am at a loss to find reference to any of them.

As I have said before, online searches are not my strongest point.

Did you look at the link I sent you to the Hong Kong Depot Police? any good?

Cheers

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 02:25 PM

Phil, yeah had a look and not a lot on there but it looks like he may have another VSEL security badge for sale UNLESS he has'nt updated his site yet.

JERRY
Old 25-08-11, 02:37 PM

I just hada quick glance at it, hes taken down the Gib police pictures. I reckon he may have a second VSEL too.

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 05:44 PM

Quote:
That would be great, thanks very much Jerry.

I have googled to search for Securitas, Reliance and VSEL cap badges, but I am at a loss to find reference to any of them.

As I have said before, online searches are not my strongest point.

Did you look at the link I sent you to the Hong Kong Depot Police? any good?

Cheers

Phil
Hi Phil, pictured below a reliance security cap badge (worn on a grey peak cap with a blue plasti band) a Securitas beanie badge (on the BAE account in the south black caps are worn but without a cap badge) and a BAE shirt breast badge worn by Reliance and Securutas security officers.

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Security Insignia.jpg (43.9 KB, 23 views)