British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-11, 06:40 PM
Banned

Alright girls keep your hair on!

I take on board all the points made above hard feelings or not, I now appreciate that there is obviously some demand and use for posts in this area of interest.

To be honest, I was having a bad Monday morning and poor old HMP got the brunt of it.

No disrespect meant to you Mike, as has been pointed out it is your forum.

On a personal note, I use the hobby as an escaped valve from the riguers of the daily grind and there but for the grace etc go I.

My apologies to anyone who had their feathers ruffled but the under the stairs comment was meant tongue in cheek and if I view Prison with the same distaste as Nazi's then I suppose that's my problem.

That's me back in my box gents, feel free to carry on and I'll make an effort not to choke on my cornflakes when the word PRISON jumps off the page at me on a monday morning in future.

Ry
Old 07-03-11, 06:44 PM
Peter J

Post withdrawn
Old 07-03-11, 07:01 PM
Banned

Many thanks Dave,

I genuinely appreciate your support with regard to my clearing off.

I don't want to put anyone in the position though of having to take sides because of a momentary lapse of tolerance on my part over what is really no more than a storm in a tea cup in relation to the point that you were making during the time of your absence.

If I rubbed anyone up the wrong way then I'm sorry, there is room I'm sure for all on here and none of us have to like or agree to everything that goes on.

Bantam, Thirty posts by you regarding HMP badges in as many months as I have now seen doesn't constitute a take over bid and without wishing to creep, I admire your RASC album.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for army chefs, gunners and screws now when I go up dark alleys.

Keep smiling gents.

Humble regards to all.

Ry
Old 07-03-11, 07:19 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Ry,

I was a guest of Winson Green Prison so many times during my mis-spent youth that I nearly had my own cap badge, everyone is proud of their own insignia and think, they should be........

I told you your elasic wasn't as strong as mine ??

Dave.
Old 07-03-11, 07:38 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default For Charlie

The x2 large and x2 small 'Forum patches' arrived this morning. Took a while but finally got here.
Many thanks, David
Old 07-03-11, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post

Ry,

I was a guest of Winson Green Prison so many times during my mis-spent youth that I nearly had my own cap badge, everyone is proud of their own insignia and think, they should be........

I told you your elasic wasn't as strong as mine ??

Dave.
Rightly so Dave on your first point, as to your second, "I've got the breaking strain of a wet Kit Kat"

[/QUOTE]
The x2 large and x2 small 'Forum patches' arrived this morning. Took a while but finally got here.
Many thanks, David
[/QUOTE]

Pleased to hear that they arrived safely David, my pleasure.

Ry
Old 07-03-11, 10:45 PM

for what its worth ...... as a long standing collector of many years I wish to try to offer some balance please , this is a military badge forum first and foremost , I fully understand this and know many here would leave if this great forum became diluted or a section such as nazi was allowed to appear,
how ever , i have on several occasions bought a mixed bag of badges or an old collection with many weird unknown badges ( some were HMP ) I have no doubt many of the forum members have done like wise .
This event will always be part of collecting and buying , car boot sales finding an ` old tin of badges` at a fleamarket etc.

I once , a long long time ago bought a white metal shoulder title at a jumble sale ` 2 / SJAB ` hoping it might be

2nd SOUTH JERSEY ARMOURED BRIGADE ..... TRUST ME IT WASNT

having a seperate section for prison service can only be a good forward step , my ideal choice would be either one big section covering HMP fire ,police ambulance , RNLI , customs coast guard , Air lines etc or a ` civil section with smaller sub sections

Right now I can feel the old boys on this forum taking in a very sharp gasp of breath and thinking ....` what next morris dancing badges ? ? lyons tea house staff insignia ??
I do have huge respect for these people but I think with the excellent moderators we have this can only be a positive move forward .

To sum up .....remember the man himself Ray Westlake and his famous ` ESSEX AND DEVON CYCLISTS ` title

best regards Michael.

Last edited by NEMO; 15-03-11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-03-11, 10:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
yep, fire away in this section:

Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

is that ok/what you want?
Many thanks indeed Mike
Old 07-03-11, 10:56 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
...what next morris dancing badges ? ?
...and what exactly is wrong with morris dancing badges???

I'll have you know that I have a number of very respectable former Lalter Wambert Collection pieces, to the Somerset Plus Fours & Elbow Bells, 2nd Light & Bitter Battalion (Stick Basher Pals) thank you very much!

PJ
Old 07-03-11, 11:00 PM

Gents, thanks for all your comments on my initial request for a law and order sub section, good or not so good as some were. This is the best badge collectors site I have ever come across, basically cos you don't have to bore people or take a chance filling up loads of space asking for something that is not related to the main theme of the group. So having sub sections (Right at the bottom and out of the way) is a great help for some of us.

All I would say is that all subsection groups should still be military/public service/emergency service related, ie an organisation that has a badge or form of insignia bearing something connected to a monarch - a crown service at least that carrys a crown on the badge. We don't want beer mat collectors or Billy Butlins red coat collectors do we?

No one says that you have to automatically look at every group or thread on here do they? For me it's lovely, I just go straight to the Police/HMP part and thats it, job done! And just by having a quick look at all the other threads and groups keeps me/us informed about fairs and the better way to be a collector etc.

I just want to say once again, what a gem this site is, especially for those who collect the smaller categories from lesser known fields. So even if you don't like the idea of ex-servicemen who are now coppers or screws still having a pride in their old unit, and a belief in what they do now, and maybe showing a bit of our history to each other, then no problem - I can tell you that this website has inspired at least 5 of my mates to start collecting in one way or another.

Last edited by HMPbadges; 07-03-11 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 11:08 PM

Ok ..... morris dancing is well buff
Old 08-03-11, 09:03 AM

Charlie585
Welcome back to the fold Dave.Glad that it was only a momentry lapse.
Now we've pulled fingers let's get back to badging.
Regards
Bantam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Many thanks Dave,

I genuinely appreciate your support with regard to my clearing off.

I don't want to put anyone in the position though of having to take sides because of a momentary lapse of tolerance on my part over what is really no more than a storm in a tea cup in relation to the point that you were making during the time of your absence.

If I rubbed anyone up the wrong way then I'm sorry, there is room I'm sure for all on here and none of us have to like or agree to everything that goes on.

Bantam, Thirty posts by you regarding HMP badges in as many months as I have now seen doesn't constitute a take over bid and without wishing to creep, I admire your RASC album.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for army chefs, gunners and screws now when I go up dark alleys.

Keep smiling gents.

Humble regards to all.

Ry
Old 10-03-11, 01:24 AM

Are we all happy now then

Are Prison and Police badges allowed to be shown and talked about on here now - in their own thread of course???