British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-07, 03:12 PM

Default Auxiliary RIC "cadets"

I tried to raise this question in another military history forum, but the ensuing discussion was terminated by the moderator – so I will apologise beforehand for any offence that may be caused. Briefly, I have been trying to obtain uniform details of the so-called “Black & Tans”, in particular the Auxiliaries who were recruited from the pool of otherwise redundant ex-officers who were thrown onto the labour market after WWI. They seem to have sported a variety of uniforms, although some individuals appear to have initially worn their old khaki uniforms. My question is, did these men retain their regimental or corps badges, or did they wear the familiar RIC “harp & crown” badge?
Old 08-12-07, 04:12 PM

Hi

In short yes they did. Although they wore in many cases their old officers uniforms they generally wore a dark bonnet with the RIC crowned harp badge. later they were more conventionally uniformed.

Eddie
Old 08-12-07, 04:31 PM

There is considerable dispute about the colour of the Tam o'Shanter bonnets worn by the “Auxies”, and I have seen references to black, blue and khaki - perhaps there was some attempt to distinguish between different divisions? Similarly, I believe that the dark police tunics, when worn, were RIC rifle green, but certain Irish republican web sites seem convinced that they were black. I accept that the RIC badge was probably worn on the bonnets, but wonder about shoulder titles, etc., on the khaki tunics. There is surprisingly little photographic evidence about Auxiliary uniforms, and many of the photographs that do exist seem to show range of uniforms.
Old 08-12-07, 04:39 PM

Brought in to fill the emergency manning levels of the RIC. The 'Tans' where full (but Mainland British) members of the RIC and clothed with the usual RIC uniform including insignia. When stores ran out khaki replacements of trousers or jackets where issued. The RIC peaked cap and black peeler belts where issued to everyone. Contrary to legend they where later named Black & Tans after the (then) famous Limerick pack of hounds which they acted like and not for the odd green or khaki dress.

The 'Auxies' Auxiliary Division holding the pay / rank of RIC Sergeant distinguished by the wearing of a curious neither Caubeen or Tam O'Shanter headdress. RIC badged with 3" Diamond Badge backing and Pouched Crossbelt. Though pictures do exist of at least one ex RNAS member wearing his original headdress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg party.jpg (21.0 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 08-12-07 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 08:13 PM

My question is really concerned with the Auxiliaries, rather than the ordinary "Tans", who functioned as policemen. I have found several references to Auxiliary uniforms, which suggest that they wore khaki officers' uniforms, albeit in conjection with cross belts, trench coats and rather silly-looking hats. A Times report relating to uniformed RIC men and Auxiliaries attending a requiem mass in Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral clearly stated that the latter group were "younger men in khaki, wearing officers' tunics and cavalry bandoliers, with the round bonnets which replaced the Glengarry in Scottish regiments during the war …. the cadets of the Auxiliary Police in Ireland". Mention of Westminster Cathedral also serves as a reminder that about 25 per cent of the Tans and Auxiliaries were Roman Catholics. (It has also been estimated that about 20 per cent of them were Irishmen).

Last edited by Stanley_C_Jenkins; 08-12-07 at 08:17 PM.
Old 25-02-08, 11:40 AM

The interesting (and rare?) picture posted by Tynesideirish appears to depict ordinary RIC (or RUC?) men. Do any pictures exist showing RIC Auxiliaries in their hybrid uniforms? - I have about three or four, but as I do not know whose copyright they are I had better not post them.
Old 16-03-08, 05:03 PM

Stanley - as in everything about that period the one sure thing is that you can never be certain! 'Officially' (as far as that term is understood) the ADRIC wore police uniform with the rounded bonnet; harp and crown badges and the letters TC on their epaullettes. There was a strong wish to make the uniform distinctive so as to differentiate this force as neither military nor part of the regular RIC. In practice the ADRIC wore whatever they felt like and took pride in that fact, which is why you see so many local variations. However there was some consistency; old regimental jackets were worn usually by section leaders or platoon commanders whilst lower ranking cadets wore the green officers police jackets. I only know of green bonnets (ADRIC companies being differentiated by a 'flash' or backing to the harp badge) but I accept there may be others. The RIC green colour was more of a very dark bottle green for lower ranks (nearly black) whilst officers wore a dark green cloth that was definitely green, not black. Auxies were of course classed as 'cadets' - ie RIC officer rank in training, with pay equivalent to sgts.
Old 16-03-08, 05:16 PM

Hello Peter, and thank you for your reply. Yes, I suspect that the Auxiliaries did more or less what they wanted to do, irrespective of any higher authority. That is why I have a very strong suspicion that these former officers may have worn their old tunics (possibly complete with shoulder titles). The Times report of the ‘Tans’ parading in the RC cathedral is quite specific in that the ADRIC were said to be wearing khaki, whereas the ordinary RIC men were in their normal rifle green uniforms.

Last edited by Stanley_C_Jenkins; 16-03-08 at 05:29 PM. Reason: poor literary style
Old 16-03-08, 08:15 PM

Hi,
have asked this question b4 ,on another site..... there is a famous pic of Auxies being inspected by Field Marshal French, in smart turnout , Caubeen type headgear ,cap badge is a puzzle though..... RIC badge over 2 largish crossed anchors.
Anyone know more on this ?
Cheers !
Steve
Old 16-03-08, 08:30 PM

I have not seen that photograph, but can image that the badges may indeed be confusing! I think, from discussions on another site, that the distinctly odd hats worn be the Auxiliary Police cadets were large Tam o'Shanters rather than caubeens, which I think came into general use after the Black & Tan campaign.

I have always thought that the introduction of distinctive "Irish" uniforms after 1921 was because the surviving Irish regiments were trying to re-establish and underline their Irish credentials after the trauma of partition. Talking of Irish regiments and caubeens - I assume that the London Irish will be out in force tomorrow for London's St Patrick's Day parade?
Old 17-03-08, 05:16 PM

Steve - Q Company of the Auxiliary Division wore crossed anchors.
Old 17-03-08, 09:46 PM

Many thanks for that Peter.
What was the significance, if any?
Were they a coastal or internal waterways(canal) patrol unit ?

Cheers !
Steve
Old 17-03-08, 11:25 PM

In its report on the funerals of the victims of the Kilmichael massacre in 1920, The Times (under the somewhat alarming heading "BLACK & TANS IN LONDON"), stated that "nothing perhaps so sharply stirred the crowds in the streets so much as did the presence in the cortege of a detachment of Auxiliary RIC – The Black & Tans. They wore khaki uniforms with black or khaki balmorals, and all were heavily armed".

If 'Q' Company of the Auxiliary Division wore distinctive badges, is it possible that there may have been further variation in the colour of their Tam o'Shanters? This would explain the confusing references to black and khaki headgear in the Times report. Other sources state that the bonnets were blue.
Old 17-03-08, 11:51 PM

Default Q Co. ADRIC

Q Company were based at the key ports and performed harbour duties and security. When I work out how to attach a photo of the correct size I'll post one of the badge.
Stanley - a dark green balmoral/bonnet is on display at the RUC/PSNI Museum with Maltese Cross backing; though as you know from old photos there were several variants of this headgear in use (including as used by women attached to the ADRIC).
Old 20-03-08, 08:31 AM

Peter,
managed to get a couple of scans of that well-known pic,mentioned B4.
Hope they come out OK.
Cheers !
Steve

The full pic shows virtually the whole company being inspected by FM French & Gen.Tudor(head of the reconstituted Police Force).........actual period ???????
Very smart looking uniform....All black or dark blue or dark green ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RICANCHRSx2.jpg (45.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RICx1large.jpg (63.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by dragonz18; 20-03-08 at 11:22 AM.