British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-08, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default CAF "Trades" Wings

The RCAF / CAF section is pretty quiet, so I thougth I would post an image of one of the current "trades" 1/2 wings.
This example is the Aerospace Control Op. As compared to the Aerospace Controller, the arcs are blue vs gold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010073.jpg (38.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-09-08, 11:57 PM

Hi Bill / anyone else who knows...

on the canadian forces website with the insignia on it theres a few of these trade wings that are missing pictures, apparently they were changed to MOC 226 ATIS Technician, but i wonder if i should be looking for different designs which became disused, or if it was the same design as the current MOC 226?...

MOC 221 Radio Technician
MOC 222 Terminal Equipment Technician
MOC 223 Tel Technician
MOC 224 Communications Technician

i do have a trade i found that isnt on the website, its an s in a circle with wings and two flags, very much like the naval and army communications research... if that is a recognized name for it, id love to know, and also a MOC number would be awesome.

also, a picture of MOC 511 Aero Engine Tech (changed to MOC 514) evades me.

regards, sean
Old 12-09-08, 02:20 AM

I will try and find pictures of the trade badges.
The Communications and Electronics Branch Technician trades were:
221 Radio Technician - Air and Land
222 Terminal Equipment Technician - Air and Land
223 Teletype and Cypher Technician - Air and Land
224 Communications Technician - Warrant Officer and up in 221/222/223 - Air and Land
231 Radar Technician - Air only, but some were employed in field units.
The trades were reorganized in the mid-1990s with the Air Force trades becoming Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technicians and the Army trades becoming Land Communications and Information Systems Technicians.
There was a single trade badge for all of the old Air trades and this badge remains the same for ATIS Technicians.
The Army trades all wore the crossed signal flags - Technicians/Operators and Linemen. This has not changed.
The Communications Research Operators have different trade badges for Army, Navy and Air.
An unusual badge that appeared was a single cloth Mercury. I was told that it was for either WOs and above or for designated positions - Chief Comm Op/Yeoman of Signals/Foreman of Signals. As far as I know, these were never worn, but I have examples of both CF and Garrison Dress.
Old 15-09-08, 01:31 AM

im totally confused now!

any chance of a look at the mercury badge, please?!...
Old 15-09-08, 02:47 AM

I recommend that you go to www.rcsigs.ca
Here is a link to his section on CF trade badges.
Please note that the Mercury badges were for the Land trades, not Air.

http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewGroup/Item/.../Trade-Badges/

Phil
Old 15-09-08, 03:10 PM

hi,

got a title for the airforce trade from that website, many thanks. its what i thought it would be called, but dont like to assume!

and i think i realise some of the confusion... i have most of those patches (missing the air force signals jimmy trade)... do i assume right in thinking that your "mercury" is my "jimmy"?... if so, it was issued in battledress too, in a right / left facing pair.

regards, sean
Old 15-09-08, 03:15 PM

ok...

heres a question, trying to sort out some of my confusion...

"There was a single trade badge for all of the old Air trades and this badge remains the same for ATIS Technicians."

so...

"221 Radio Technician - Air and Land
222 Terminal Equipment Technician - Air and Land
223 Teletype and Cypher Technician - Air and Land
224 Communications Technician - Warrant Officer and up in 221/222/223 - Air and Land"

were all are exactly the same as the current ATIS and i shouldnt be looking for different patches that are now out of use, just they had different job descriptions but same insignia?...
Old 15-09-08, 04:29 PM

Jimmy is a familiar nickname Sigs people use for Mercury. They are one and the same.

The modern Jimmy/Mercury patch is not the same as the old battledress pair. The later was to indication trade specific sgts and staff sgts and was worn about the three chevrons, facing forwards. The modern badge for Garrison Dress and DEU was part of the 1986 trade badge work where branch's were allowed to create 'Master' trade badges. Although Sigs created theirs, intended to be worn by Line Construciton Foreman and Chief Comm Ops, they weren't authorized for wear. From what I've been able to dig up so far it's likely because these were job related badges and not qualification based. The Artillery did get theirs approved for the 'AIG' (I believe that's what it's called).
Old 15-09-08, 05:08 PM

awesome, thanks for the info Joe.
Old 15-09-08, 08:45 PM

Sean,
The AIR 221/222/223/224 all wore the same badge.
That badge is now worn by the 226 ATIS Techs.

Phil
Old 15-09-08, 09:16 PM

wow, that saves me a lot of searching for things that dont exist, thanks phil!

what about the 511 Aero Engine Tech though, that changed to 514 Air Frame Tech?...
Old 15-09-08, 10:32 PM

With the 500 series, Air Frame, Aero Engine and Instrument Electrical - I think that was it - became Aviation Technician.
Communication Radar Systems, Integral Systems and some of the Instrument Electricals became Avionics Technician.
I will try and find out what the badges were/are.

The CF underwent a huge reorganization over the last 12 years. The old Teletype Operator trade which had both Army and Air personnel was amalgamated with the Radio Operator and Communication Operator (WO and up in both Tel Op and Rad Op trades) to form a new occupation called Signal Operators. Sig Op is an Army Trade and Tel Ops/Comm Ops who wore the Air uniform had to switch over to the Army.

I went through this when my old trade - Terminal Equipment Technician - disappeared and I lost my air uniform to become an LCIS Tech.
Old 16-09-08, 12:16 AM

awesome, thanks for the help...

still wondering about the MOC 511 Aero Engine Tech (changed to MOC 514) though?... this is my last big question mark!...

Tags
aerospace control, moc, trade badge, trade wing