British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-08, 11:56 PM

Default Scots Guards

Chaps i wondered if i could have your opinions on this badge, it has a slider which is unusual and thought it might be a pugri badge, the reason im asking is because i have one that came from a collection.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=022

Cheers
Malc
Old 25-03-08, 12:07 AM

Smile Scots Guards Pagri

From looking at the badge it looks like an O/R's with a slider, all Scots Guards I have ever had (2 loops). The Pagri was much larger.
Old 25-03-08, 12:17 AM

Malc,
think mine has a slider also, will check when I get home tonight.
Never really thought about it that much B4 !!!
Cheers !
Steve
Old 25-03-08, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochim View Post
Chaps i wondered if i could have your opinions on this badge, it has a slider which is unusual and thought it might be a pugri badge, the reason im asking is because i have one that came from a collection.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=022

Cheers
Malc
Malc,

There was a slidered SGds up earlier in the week with a nicer slider which looked the part. That one has a strange texturing on the front and the braze looks very fresh, not saying its definitly duff but I wouldn't be happy with it.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 25-03-08, 06:43 AM

Just checked, I have 2 ,both have lugs !!
Cheers !
Steve
Old 25-03-08, 04:20 PM

I have a slidered one myself (as well as several lugged ones) - the dealer I got it from said it was from the estate of a veteran of 3rd Scots Guards (39-45 War). This example has actually had the slider clipped, which would make it fit better on the black beret.

However, most SG badges I've come across are a bit more robust than this one, if only slightly so. All in all I think it a good one (it does look & feel the part), but still wonder at times.

Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-25-2008 12;20;08 PM.jpg (53.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 25-03-08, 04:51 PM

Hi Malc,
I recently purchased a Welsh Guards Pagri having bought a some restrikes in the past.It is again a much copied badge and the slider on the latest one is much longer then the version in photo.
Regards
Bantam
Old 25-03-08, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
I have a slidered one myself (as well as several lugged ones) - the dealer I got it from said it was from the estate of a veteran of 3rd Scots Guards (39-45 War). This example has actually had the slider clipped, which would make it fit better on the black beret.

However, most SG badges I've come across are a bit more robust than this one, if only slightly so. All in all I think it a good one (it does look & feel the part), but still wonder at times.

Dean
Perhaps worn by the Guards Armoured Division of WW2 who wore berets inside their tanks and badges with sliders were more common for this head dress. I am not sure if the SG were a part of this formation though.
Old 25-03-08, 05:05 PM

3rd Bn Scots Guards were part of 6th (Guards) Armoured Brigade. They were (for a time) part of 15th (Scottish) Div when it formed part of the "mixed division" scheme. When this pairing was parted (reverting 15th Scottish to a normal infantry division) 6th Guards Armoured became an independant formation. As such they served in NW Europe until the end of the war. At the end of hostilities, 3rd Scots Guards (along with the rest of 6th Guards Armd Bde) turned in their taks and then came under command of the Guards Division (which was also no longer an armoured formation).

Dean
Old 25-03-08, 08:29 PM

Hi Malc,

My uncles slidered Scots Gds arrived today and these pics are fresh off the press. I like it personally passes the bend test, has age, been polished and a great slider.

Slider is too short for a pugree so I wonder if it was just a makers variation similar to the grenadier gds which sometimes come slidered.

Cheers,

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scotsguards1.JPG (30.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg scotsguards2.JPG (32.4 KB, 20 views)